Solar Cover Question - a sort of, which one question?

joseywales

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 11, 2009
Exton, PA
18' above ground, as listed in my signature. We get sun pretty much from sunup to 2:30. Before I consider solar panels, etc. I want to try the solar cover for two reasons:

1 - The cover might be just enough, although I'm reading they don't really add heat in as much as they retain heat. So, if the cover doesn't get it done, at least I have it to support the solar panel's efforts. Which brings me to my first question.

2 - is a solar cover and solar blanket the same thing, same purpose? I'm guessing the blanket can be dark, since it's probably used mostly at night.

3 - I'd like to take full advantage of the sun during the day, but retain that heat at night. Will a clear solar cover accomplish that? IF so, what thickness will allow sun in and retain heat at night?

thanks

Yes They are interchangable terms for the same thing. One place calls then covers and another calls them blankets.

I bought a clear cover because it's proported to allow the heat through during the day if you leave it on and retain heat at night. I can say from experience, that it does just that! I can tell a significant difference if I leave it off a night or two.

I don't know that the thickness makes a lot of difference but I have no experience with that. I bought a 12mil cover. (or is that blanket?) :)

The main thing a solar cover does is reduce evaporation, which is a big source of cooling. Not having to top-off the pool as often is a big plus too in areas that have water restrictions.

I don't know that clear versus opaque makes much difference for heating. (Opaque clearly reduces FC loss, though.) A thicker cover would be more durable and harder to get on and off (because it's heavier, I see complaints about that all the time) but should not affect heat retention.
--paulr

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.