Oh my- Where to begin?

May 27, 2010
So, we are looking at getting a 24ft above ground pool this year. And we have no idea where to begin. We have found some at Namco for around $3000, including the pump, filter and some other accessories. Installation would be $1800, including water. But another local company is asking $7000 for a Doughboy installed. What is the difference? I do not want to waste money on a pool that is not worth it but at the same time I do not want to overpay just for a name. Also, Costco has a kit with the pool, pump/filter and other stuff for $1900. I am soooo confused on where to begin. I am really thinking about waiting to see if prices come down in the fall and then decide, but it would be nice to have the pool for this summer.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. TIA!!!!

Your best bet is to look at the warranties of each and not just the liner. You can figure that installation should be about the same on any of them because the same basic steps should be the same on all of them.

Bama Rambler said:
Your best bet is to look at the warranties of each and not just the liner. You can figure that installation should be about the same on any of them because the same basic steps should be the same on all of them.

The warranties look very similiar. My big concern is whether companies like Namco stand behind what they sell if there is a problem with it. Or is it better to use a local company to purchase and install the pool, even if it does cost more? I do not know much about pools, so I have no idea what questions to ask the salespeople when we go look at them.

Well after going through what you are right now I went another direction.

I bought a 2 year old pool from a local person. Complete 27' round setup with Sand filter and 2HP pump. I bought a new 25 gauge liner, some coving and I am sorting out my happy bottom issues (I need a suitable substitute by Wed) and the installer is putting it in on Wed.

My original figure was supposed to be about $1500-$1600 if I put it in myself but having it installed (I wussed out) my OOP will be about 2500 installed. It will probably be a touch more than that as I am going to go ahead and put the pump and filter in a shed I have and will need to do some plumbing and bury the lines in the ground but I will do that myself (get your shovels out!!).

My reasoning for not going with a local pool company for everything was that the cost was too great. The pool along was going to be over 3k where I live. Ordering online would have been better but still pricey and I needed to keep my costs down (limited budget).

What others have said about looking at warranty is important. The pool I got actually has a lifetime warranty (it is a Lomark which as I have come to find out is actually made by Doughboy I think) and the new liner is 20 years. Doughboy has a great rep from what I have heard so I don't think you can wrong there but I can also say (from what I have read here) that even the best on the planet will only be as good as the install ... which is why I decided to pay a pro.

Overall you should be able to find something in between those prices that fits your needs. Part of what you pay for is the name but also the fit and finish and style of the pool will vary the price a lot as well (i.e. if you want it to be fancy looking it will cost more, you want plain jane blue or brown wrapper then it will be cheaper).

Lastly from what I have seen at pool stores they want to give you a set package with certain equipment (sometimes things you don't want or need) and lots and lots of chemicals. I found this site a little over 2 years ago when I had water issues and I can tell you the BBB method is the best thing that ever happened. When I opened my Intex last summer it was a nightmare (didn't take it down over the winter and no cover .... yikes!!) and with the BBB method and lots of testing it was up and clean within just over a week.

Greg

mykidsrock76 said:
So, we are looking at getting a 24ft above ground pool this year. And we have no idea where to begin. We have found some at Namco for around $3000, including the pump, filter and some other accessories. Installation would be $1800, including water. But another local company is asking $7000 for a Doughboy installed. What is the difference? I do not want to waste money on a pool that is not worth it but at the same time I do not want to overpay just for a name. Also, Costco has a kit with the pool, pump/filter and other stuff for $1900. I am soooo confused on where to begin. I am really thinking about waiting to see if prices come down in the fall and then decide, but it would be nice to have the pool for this summer.

I think you can find a better price on a doughboy. I got prices of 3200 to 4000.00 for 24 footers earlier. Make sure you go by doughboys website to see if they are still offering 500 buck coupons.
Also 1800 is a little expensive on installation. I would look around and compare.
Getting a reputable pool and a company to stand behind it is a good thing.

I'm not sure what Namco is but as far as dispute handling you should check them out with the Better Business Bureau. You may be better off buying the pump and filter separately. Packaged deals often include pumps that are too big and filters that ar too small. I believe $7k is way too high for that sized pool installed. Good luck with your search.

I had that fear myself. I even asked the guy if the filter was rated big enough for the pump.

I've gotten a quote from another local company. I believe the pool is a fant a sea. Same size with 18" filter. I mentioned the other quote and they of course offered to up the pump size (which will further overdrive the filter). Once I receive that quote in the mail, I'll probably use it as fuel to up the size of the filter on the doughboy. If not, I'll ask the second company to increase the filter size rather than the pump.

Either way, that deal is out there for the original poster. Should be able to save some money on the quotes you received.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
mykidsrock76 said:

Do you have a local installater lined up or is this through Namco? Can you shop for and put together your own package and have these or some other local installers put it in? There are many good deals to be had if you put together your own package.

So, we have been looking into this now for a month and I still have no idea which way to go. I have spoken to 2 different dealers and been quoted between $6400-7800 for a 24 ft doughboy installed, not including permits and electrical. Same exact model and everything, just different companies. I keep looking at these pools through Costco and I am very curious if anyone has one or knows someone that has one. They have a steel and a resin type. We are leaning towards the resin. I am soooooo confused right now!!!!

Although I am still VERY new to the whole pool thing, I was where you are just a short month ago. I too shopped the Namco's and other large retailers. I then found a small local pool store in my area where the owner took the time to sit down with my wife and I and spent literally 2 1/2 hours going over options and pricing. He helped up decide on the right size pool including stopping by my home to visually survey my yard to make sure we made the right decision before he ordered the pool. The bigger stores seemed offended that we were asking questions.

The store we purchased from also set us up with the names of 3 local installers. Their prices varied greatly and the one we chose was just as patient. I stayed outside and watched what they did and how they did it. He answered all my questions and even explained the process as it went along. It gave me great insight as to what is involved in building a pool.

With all that said we ended up with a better quality pool, liner and filter setup as well as an installation that was top notch and we paid about $500 less as well.

Additionally, the larger store gave us a list of chemicals that as the salesperson put it we had to buy in order to get the pool usable this year. The local guy sold us Chlorine, and told us when we filled the pool to bring in a sample of the water. He again came out to our house to show us how to add what we needed to the water. He didn't sell us anything other than the chlorine and an algaecide. The only thing I wish he would have advised me differently on was a better test kit. I did just order the TF-100 though.

My experience may be unique however I believe I found the greatest local pool store ever.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.