SWG Salt ?

chrisjb8685

LifeTime Supporter
May 17, 2010
Blue Earth Cty., MN
For the last few years I have been using EcoWater Solar Salt which lists itself as 99.7 % pure. I use the same salt in our softener and have noticed that there have been some contaminants or something in the salt that has left a dirty ring in the brinewell and filthy water when the salt has gotten really low. Supplier couldn't really explain other than maybe a bad bag of salt, (although it has happened on two separate occasions.)

Last year I had a real issue with some type of soil bacteria "eating" up my CYA and really struggled all summer with minimal satisfaction. I am wondering if it came via my salt.

Is there a recommendation on what kind of salt to use for the SWG? Pool store has some but it is really pricey.

Salt is getting low and I need to add some but am a little nervous as I've just gotten the pool cleared up.

Chris

Some people have had issues using salt with additives, but the rule of thumb here is anything over 99.4% pure and w/o any additives should be fine. Your issues last summer were related to something else; dirty salt could not possibly cause that. Your softener issues are likely not related to dirty salt either.

Pool store salt comes from the same salt as water softener salt. It is ground finer, and run through a sieve to make sure there aren't any large bits, but otherwise it is the same. In practice people sometimes find a pebble or two in several hundred pounds of water softener salt that wouldn't have been in pool salt, but otherwise there is no detectable difference.

No, we prefer to keep things visible. That gives you some history the next time you ask a question, and lets others with the same question find their answer by searching and seeing what we told you when you asked, without us having to answer all over again.

I know you already have your answer, but I wanted to say that the what you're seeing in the brine tank is most likely from the water, not the salt. Normally the only additive in water softener salt is rust remover, which will not cause what you're describing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.