Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG Salt ?

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG Salt ?

For the last few years I have been using EcoWater Solar Salt which lists itself as 99.7 % pure. I use the same salt in our softener and have noticed that there have been some contaminants or something in the salt that has left a dirty ring in the brinewell and filthy water when the salt has gotten really low. Supplier couldn't really explain other than maybe a bad bag of salt, (although it has happened on two separate occasions.)

Last year I had a real issue with some type of soil bacteria "eating" up my CYA and really struggled all summer with minimal satisfaction. I am wondering if it came via my salt.

Is there a recommendation on what kind of salt to use for the SWG? Pool store has some but it is really pricey.

Salt is getting low and I need to add some but am a little nervous as I've just gotten the pool cleared up.

Chris
    5 year old 40k L shaped vinyl Salt-Water with 40k T-15 cell, Pentair TR -100 450# filter, zeobrite media, 4 returns, 3 skimmers, 1 1/2 - 1/3 HP pump Whisper Flo

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG Salt ?

I use Morton salt in the blue bag from Home Depot. It is about $4 for 50 lbs.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by mas985
    I use Morton salt in the blue bag from Home Depot.
    Have you or anyone else had issues with "dirty salt?"

Is the pool store salt that is supposed to be "super" pure really worth the price?
    5 year old 40k L shaped vinyl Salt-Water with 40k T-15 cell, Pentair TR -100 450# filter, zeobrite media, 4 returns, 3 skimmers, 1 1/2 - 1/3 HP pump Whisper Flo

4. Back To Top    #4

Some people have had issues using salt with additives, but the rule of thumb here is anything over 99.4% pure and w/o any additives should be fine. Your issues last summer were related to something else; dirty salt could not possibly cause that. Your softener issues are likely not related to dirty salt either.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

5. Back To Top    #5

Pool store salt comes from the same salt as water softener salt. It is ground finer, and run through a sieve to make sure there aren't any large bits, but otherwise it is the same. In practice people sometimes find a pebble or two in several hundred pounds of water softener salt that wouldn't have been in pool salt, but otherwise there is no detectable difference.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks! I'll just stick with water softener salt then and make sure the purity is above the 99.4% recommended.

Also, should I delete a post like this now that my questions have been answered?

Thanks,
    Chris

7. Back To Top    #7

No, we prefer to keep things visible. That gives you some history the next time you ask a question, and lets others with the same question find their answer by searching and seeing what we told you when you asked, without us having to answer all over again.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

I know you already have your answer, but I wanted to say that the what you're seeing in the brine tank is most likely from the water, not the salt. Normally the only additive in water softener salt is rust remover, which will not cause what you're describing.
    John

24' round Vogue AGP 12,000 gal. Flotec AT251001-01 1HP pump, Hayward S310T2 sand filter, Aquarite SWG T-15
    TF-100 (found at TF Test Kits) with Speedstir and Samplesizer