slight stinging to eyes despite good numbers

chris4150

LifeTime Supporter
Hello all,

Yesterday I was swimming with my kiddos when I noticed that our eys had a slight sting to them. Being concerned that my water might be out of balance I checked my water via my TF 100 kit and derived the following numbers.

FC 3 - a bit on the low side
TC 3
PH 7.5
TA 70
CYA 50
CH 240
Water temp 84

I didnt see anything in the numbers that might explain a slight stinging considering the pool chemistry was balanced. Let me know what you think or suggest.

Chris

How "old" is your water? When my pool was new, the water seemed to dry out my eyes, but as the water has been in there for several years, it has gone away. Probably partially from salt accumulation from the bleach.

If your problem continues, adding salt might make the water easier on your eyes. Simple physics says that low salt pool water will remove the salt from your eyes.

When the salt level is low, then the concentration of water in the pool is much higher than in the eye where the salt level is around 9000 ppm. So water enters the eye causing osmotic pressure which in some people is irritating and can cause the stinging and red eyes. This is one reason why those people with pools that have saltwater chlorine generators (SWG) at 3000 ppm salt or those who intentionally increase their salt levels (usually to around 1500 ppm) like the effects of their water. You would also find that your fingers are less likely to get that saturated ridged effect since that is also caused by your body taking in more water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.