Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: slight stinging to eyes despite good numbers

1. Back To Top    #1

slight stinging to eyes despite good numbers

Hello all,

Yesterday I was swimming with my kiddos when I noticed that our eys had a slight sting to them. Being concerned that my water might be out of balance I checked my water via my TF 100 kit and derived the following numbers.

FC 3 - a bit on the low side
    TC 3
    PH 7.5
    TA 70
    CYA 50
    CH 240
    Water temp 84

I didnt see anything in the numbers that might explain a slight stinging considering the pool chemistry was balanced. Let me know what you think or suggest.

Chris
    13,500 gallon free form Pebble Tec pool- 2 skimmers
    Pentair Intelli-Flow filter pump, Pentair Intelli-Super Flo booster pump, waterfall pump, Del Ozone Eclipse 1 generator, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge filtration, Nature 2 XG Clear Vision, In-line Chlorinator, Polaris 280, Raypack heater, and Color Logic LED lights.

Proud user of BBB, pool school, pool calculator, TF-100, and the advice of the friendly people here!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: slight stinging to eyes despite good numbers

Hey Chris - I agree your #s look good... when we all swim in our pool my DH comes out with red eyes, no one else does though. I can't explain it.
    Wasn't that helpful
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

FPM
    I've noticed the same thing, one out five has some eye stinging and redness.
    IG 18x36 oval vinyl, Spill over spa, Northstar 2hp-2spd, 2.5" piping, S310T 500lb Sand filter, 400k gas heater, AutoPilot SWCG
    http://www.tftestkits.net/

4. Back To Top    #4

How "old" is your water? When my pool was new, the water seemed to dry out my eyes, but as the water has been in there for several years, it has gone away. Probably partially from salt accumulation from the bleach.

If your problem continues, adding salt might make the water easier on your eyes. Simple physics says that low salt pool water will remove the salt from your eyes.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

JohnT,

The pool water is maybe 6 months old since I had the plaster redone. Ill monitor the eye comfort level through the summer and see if its a continuing problem.
    13,500 gallon free form Pebble Tec pool- 2 skimmers
    Pentair Intelli-Flow filter pump, Pentair Intelli-Super Flo booster pump, waterfall pump, Del Ozone Eclipse 1 generator, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge filtration, Nature 2 XG Clear Vision, In-line Chlorinator, Polaris 280, Raypack heater, and Color Logic LED lights.

Proud user of BBB, pool school, pool calculator, TF-100, and the advice of the friendly people here!

6. Back To Top    #6

When the salt level is low, then the concentration of water in the pool is much higher than in the eye where the salt level is around 9000 ppm. So water enters the eye causing osmotic pressure which in some people is irritating and can cause the stinging and red eyes. This is one reason why those people with pools that have saltwater chlorine generators (SWG) at 3000 ppm salt or those who intentionally increase their salt levels (usually to around 1500 ppm) like the effects of their water. You would also find that your fingers are less likely to get that saturated ridged effect since that is also caused by your body taking in more water.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"