Strong water stream from polaris wall return

chris4150

LifeTime Supporter
Hello all,

While swimming yesterday without the polaris cleaner attached to the wall, I noticed that water was expelling from the wall return much greater than the other pool returns. I realize that the opening for the polaris wall return is much smaller thus possibly explaining the strength of the flow of water, however, should this be occuring at all if the polaris pump is not running? I did have the plumbing re-worked several months ago in order to have the in-line chlorine feeder relocated thus possibly explaining this issue.

Also, while testing out a new swiming face mask I noticed debri (grass, a few insects) floating below the water line but off of the pool floor. Is there a way to improve the skimmer function or water flow to improve the movement of the debri to the skimmers. Currently I have the returns ( total of 3) pointed to the right and level to create a clock wise rotation in the water and my pool pump runs for 9 hours a day. Let me know what you think.

Chris

As far as the polaris opening putting out a stronger stream, not sure why that is happening. When I do not have mine attached there is flow, but about half or 1/3 of the regular returns. Maybe the piping to that particular opening is shorter than the rest, therefore having greater flow.

Do you have a valve that shuts off water from coming out of that return? I have a return line for the pool cleaner, but I only release water through it when the Polaris is attached and I want it to run. When the valvle is in the off position, no water comes out.

I think Johnl is on the right track :goodjob:

Think about how many returns are in your pool and how many lines feed them. The cleaner line goes to only one port and, if the flow is equal to the normal return lines and the cleaner line, you'll most likely have stronger flow to the cleaner line (even though it is reduced in places and has to pass through a pump which isn't on - Mark or Jason can probably tell you the head loss involved - but I'll bet it isn't enough to equalize the flow through that line to be the same as the other returns)

Oh, ... as he also says, if you have a valve for that line, you can partially close it so that the flow is ~ equal to the other returns :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.