borax.to increese PH

May 24, 2010
CT.
current ph is 7.2 goal is 7.5-7.8 TA is 70 goal is 100. Borates 0 CH 150 CYA 90(I know it's high)

I want to add Borax based on the pool calc. 51OZ borax. This will also bring the TA up am i correct?

Will the Borax alone(- the acid) make the water softer? or is it a combination of both. i have some coper piping that an a little Leary of if i add acid?

Borax will raise your pH and will have little, if any, affect on your TA.

Baking soda will raise your TA and have little affect on your pH

I would leave the TA and pH alone in your pool. Most pools have a natural tendency for pH to rise so, over time, I believe your numbers will both come up around your target by themselves. They are already in a "normal" range....just at the lower end of normal.

If your PH doesn't come up on it's own in a few weeks, go ahead and add the borax - what affect it has on the TA won't matter you'll still be in range. Borax won't affect your copper pipes, however extended periods of low ph might.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.