Overnight FC test

May 12, 2010
I just did my overnight FC test, and I am happy to say that I did not have any loss. Thank you for all the help getting started with the BBB Method. After I decided to switch from PermaSalt I had several sleepless nights. Even a few nightmares of ugly water. Our pool has never looked better!!!! Hopefully I'll be able to keep it looking this way, but if I run into trouble I know where to turn to :-D

I do have a question, when using the blue box test kit for FC and PH. I don't have any trouble reading my results for the PH levels. But unless my FC is really low, I'm having trouble reading the results. Any tips on how to read this? Maybe yellow just isn't my color.

A BIG THANK YOU

Many people have the same issue. By it's very nature, the test is somewhat innaccurate......being tough to interpret adds to the difficulty.

Here's what I suggest...

Consider the Blue Box chlorine test as a daily reassurance test to check for the presence of chlorine but not necessarily the amount. When you need to know the precise amount of chlorine, switch to the very accurate (but slower) FAS/DPD drops based test.

So, if your target FC is 3-4ppm, and the blue box test (OTO) appears to be roughly in that range, you are reassured that chlorine is about where it should be. If the OTO test is orange or barely yellow at all, then you can perform the FAS/DPD and find out exactly how much FC you really have and whether there is a concern.

Many pool owners run a regimen of daily OTO tests (for reassurance) and then weekly FAS/DPD testing for precision.

I should add that many on the forum like the precision of the FAS/DPD so much that they prefer to run that test exclusively.....but normally not every day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.