Bubbles from one return when pump starts

Mar 28, 2007
Hello, all. First post, and thanks for starting a new pool forum.

I've got some bubbles when the pump starts up after sitting for a while. The bubbles are only from one return - the same one every time - and there's only about 20-30 seconds of intermittent bubbles. I do not remember this from when the pool was initially filled, about 6 months ago.

I cannot get this to duplicate in the spa/hot tub.

I'm not noticing any undue leakage out of the pool. Yet. (?)

Unfortunately, this return is at the end of the line - that is, it's at the end of about 30 feet of concrete and stone. It couldn't be farther from the pump. Can it be anything other than a crack in the return pipe?

Thanks for the time.

~12,000 gallons, in ground, SWG, Jandy equipment, 2 speed pump, DE filter, Jandy PDA8 Controller, Heyward Colorlogic lights. Fun! Click my website below for more info.

Hey, Bubba,

Welcome to the forum. My guess is your problem is not serious. Air bubbles in the return lines when you start the pump are indicative of a very small air leak......frequently occuring around the seal on the pump basket but not always.

Anyway, when the pump is off, the water in the pump and filter would like to go back to the level of the pool water........all it needs is a little leak in the loop that will let in some air. That air can frequently find it's way in around the pump basket seal. Then, when the pump comes on, the seal is quickly reseated because of the vacuum the pump puts on it. The air that has found it's way into the loop is then blown thru the filter and out to the returns. It sounds like that is what is happening in your pool.

It's fairly hard to find that leak (could be several other places) but as long as the bubbles are not continuous, I doubt you have a major problem.

Attachments

• misc.zip
    32.9 KB · Views: 1
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.