Chlorine Usage

Oct 7, 2009
SW IN
I just had a new liner installed. I am trying the BBB method. I am not sure if I am using an excessive amount of chlorine on a daily basis. I am adding 2 to 3 qts of 10% each evening. I have listed test results below. The pool is a 25000 gal Foxx pool.
FC=3.5
CC=0
Alkilinity=110
PH=7.5
CYA=40
I have tested the water each evening after the sun is off the pool. The TC is always .5. I use the pool calculator and add the recommended amount of 10%. I check the water the next morning and always get a reading between 3 and 4 TC. Same results that evening. The pool is in total sun all day. I just want to be sure I am on track. It seems like a lot of usage, but I am a newbie. Thanks for any advice.

Sounds about right to me. The only comment I have is that with CYA of 40, you do not want to let your FC fall below 3ppm and target 5-6ppm when your adding chlorine so that by the time your ready to add chlorine the next day your FC is around 3ppm.

gotgone said:
I have tested the water each evening after the sun is off the pool. The TC is always .5. I use the pool calculator and add the recommended amount of 10%. I check the water the next morning and always get a reading between 3 and 4 TC. Same results that evening.

So try this, test in the evening, add your nitely dose, say around 7-8pm. At 9 or 10 pm, before you go to bed, take another FC sample. Then use that later sample to compare your morning results to, so we can get an accurate overnight Loss result.

If you are losing more than 1ppm you should shock.

Your loss of 3 or so during the day doesn't seem excessive esp considering full sun, no cover, right? But I suggest you try a higher target, say 7 to keep you above your min of 3.

I ran a complete set of tests at 5:00 this morning. The chlorine level was at 4.5. The ph has climbed excessively. On sunday evening the ph was 7.5. This morning the ph was almost 8.0. At 4pm I did a complete retest on everything. The ph is still at 8.0. The FC is at 1.0. I am going to add enogh 10% to bring the FC up to at least 6. The cya level now shows 35. We have had no rain in the last 2 weeks. I did add approx 3/4 in of water last thursday. Any thoughts on why the ph rise. I lowered the ph from 7.8 to 7.5 using dry acid, last friday. Thanks again for any suggestions.

Just another piece of info. I have the jets directed upwards to get better water circulation. Is it possible to have too much movement near the jets. I am not getting any aeration but the water is moving extremely fast approx 3 ft directly in front of the jets. This is the same area wher I have been adding daily chlorine and the dry acid solution.

Pointing the jets up can cause the PH to rise, even if you aren't seeing the aeration...some pools PH just tends to drift up...

Ideally, you should use muratic acid to lower ph - as dry acid adds sulphates to the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.