Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine Usage

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine Usage

I just had a new liner installed. I am trying the BBB method. I am not sure if I am using an excessive amount of chlorine on a daily basis. I am adding 2 to 3 qts of 10% each evening. I have listed test results below. The pool is a 25000 gal Foxx pool.
    FC=3.5
    CC=0
    Alkilinity=110
    PH=7.5
    CYA=40
    I have tested the water each evening after the sun is off the pool. The TC is always .5. I use the pool calculator and add the recommended amount of 10%. I check the water the next morning and always get a reading between 3 and 4 TC. Same results that evening. The pool is in total sun all day. I just want to be sure I am on track. It seems like a lot of usage, but I am a newbie. Thanks for any advice.
    25k-30k gallon IG plaster/shotcrete
    Pentair 1 HP Hydropump
    C-9419 catridge filter
    Kreepy Krauly attack monster
    And ooooo, a diving board - WHO WANTS TO TOUCH ME? :)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorine Usage

Sounds about right to me. The only comment I have is that with CYA of 40, you do not want to let your FC fall below 3ppm and target 5-6ppm when your adding chlorine so that by the time your ready to add chlorine the next day your FC is around 3ppm.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the advice. I wondered if I should get the level higher to start. I will add another dose right away.
    Pentair 1 HP Hydropump
    C-9419 catridge filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by gotgone
    I have tested the water each evening after the sun is off the pool. The TC is always .5. I use the pool calculator and add the recommended amount of 10%. I check the water the next morning and always get a reading between 3 and 4 TC. Same results that evening.
    So try this, test in the evening, add your nitely dose, say around 7-8pm. At 9 or 10 pm, before you go to bed, take another FC sample. Then use that later sample to compare your morning results to, so we can get an accurate overnight Loss result.

If you are losing more than 1ppm you should shock.

Your loss of 3 or so during the day doesn't seem excessive esp considering full sun, no cover, right? But I suggest you try a higher target, say 7 to keep you above your min of 3.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

5. Back To Top    #5

I ran a complete set of tests at 5:00 this morning. The chlorine level was at 4.5. The ph has climbed excessively. On sunday evening the ph was 7.5. This morning the ph was almost 8.0. At 4pm I did a complete retest on everything. The ph is still at 8.0. The FC is at 1.0. I am going to add enogh 10% to bring the FC up to at least 6. The cya level now shows 35. We have had no rain in the last 2 weeks. I did add approx 3/4 in of water last thursday. Any thoughts on why the ph rise. I lowered the ph from 7.8 to 7.5 using dry acid, last friday. Thanks again for any suggestions.
    Pentair 1 HP Hydropump
    C-9419 catridge filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Just another piece of info. I have the jets directed upwards to get better water circulation. Is it possible to have too much movement near the jets. I am not getting any aeration but the water is moving extremely fast approx 3 ft directly in front of the jets. This is the same area wher I have been adding daily chlorine and the dry acid solution.
    Pentair 1 HP Hydropump
    C-9419 catridge filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Pointing the jets up can cause the PH to rise, even if you aren't seeing the aeration...some pools PH just tends to drift up...

Ideally, you should use muratic acid to lower ph - as dry acid adds sulphates to the water.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

8. Back To Top    #8

You could try lowering your TA by lowering your pH with acid (which also lowers TA) and aerating to bring the pH back up (which doesn't raise TA back up). Our TA is 80 and our pH rarely moves from 7.5.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit