Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Jandy LX Heater Flashback/Blowback Issue on Heater Startup

1. Back To Top    #1

Jandy LX Heater Flashback/Blowback Issue on Heater Startup

I'm entering my third year with my pool in South Jersey. This year, I'm having a problem with my Jandy LX heater. It "flashes back" when attempting to start up. In the past 2 years, this happened once or twice as there were spider webs and the like in the venturis. This year, I attempted to clean any debris out with my air compressor after finding this flashback happening for more than a couple times.
    The heater is still under warranty, but I am trying to understand what could be causing this so that the Pool Company doesn't just put a band-aid in place.

Thanks for your help
    28,000 gallon gunite/white plaster with 30ft RBB and 2ft sheer descent, 100 sq ft thermaledge, 50sq ft spa w/ 6 jets
    2HP Jandy pump, 60sq ft Jandy DE filter, 400,000 BTU Jandy LX Nat Gas Heater, 2 Jandy color lights + Jandy color spa light, Jandy Aqualink RS6, Jandy AquaPure 1400

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Jandy LX Heater Flashback/Blowback Issue on Heater Startup

You've already discovered the most common issue, Spiders!
    Mud daubers will also build nests in the burner tube but I don't know if you have them up there.
    Rust and debris is the next most common cause.
    Since it's under warranty you might want to call them first, but I suspect spiders, nest or debris will not be covered.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit