Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to clean Pentair filter cartridge

1. Back To Top    #1

How to clean Pentair filter cartridge

This probably makes me sound like an idiot, but here goes.

I have a Pentair Clean and Clear 200 filter. When I got the house, the former owner showed me how to change/clean the filter. I remember everything...except how to remove the pvc core from the middle of the filter. I have tried everything I can think of to get it to come out. I'm afraid I am going to ruin the filter, and I'm not ready to buy a new one yet. I have cleaned the filter a couple of times with the core still in place, but I don't get it as clean as when the core is out. I have tried searching to see if I could find something on the net, but I cannot. Anyone out there that can help me?
    IG gunite freeform pool with attached spa, stone surround, 18,000 gallons, Pentair Tagelus TA60, Pentair Whisperflo WF-8 pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to clean Pentair filter cartridge

If you have the $ buy a sand filter. Soooooo much easier.... I had cartridge and was a PITA. Went to sand...Yeahhhhhhhhh!!!!!
    12X18 AG, 6200 gal
    Hayward S166T sand filter, Switched back to 100 sq ft cart.
    Hayward 1hp power flo matrix two speed pump.
    Been using BBB since pool was new in 2004. Never had any problems.

3. Back To Top    #3

coloeb,
    20k gal. IG fiberglass/plaster rectangle 32'x16'
    Hayward Superpump 3/4 H.P. primary Hayward model 5060 Booster Pump
    Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter
    Pentair Model 320 automatic Chlorine/bromine in-line feeder

4. Back To Top    #4

Page 7 of the document linked here describes the Pentair way of removal. Hope this helps.
    Geometric 16X36', 16K gal, shotcrete, exposed aggregate plaster, acrylic coated concrete deck/cantilever coping;
    Pentair equipment suite (EasyTouch w/wireless, 2 Intellibrites, Intelliflo VS-3050, C&C 200 Filter, IC-40 SWG);
    Heliocol solar panels, Rocky's Roller, Blue Diamond robot

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the help! I had the OM from the first link, all it says is to remove the core, but it doesn't say how. The second link, however, does give instruction on removing the core. Sounds like it just slide the filter up off the core. I will try it this week and see how it goes!
    IG gunite freeform pool with attached spa, stone surround, 18,000 gallons, Pentair Tagelus TA60, Pentair Whisperflo WF-8 pump.

6. Back To Top    #6

yes, the filter just slides off the core. Sometimes you'll get some growth and the element will "stick" to the core a bit, but trust me, it just slides off. If it helps, you can lift the entire core out of the filter first, and THEN try to slide it off. Keep things wet, it will help the filter slide.
    In-ground Filters Engineer
    Pentair Water Pool and Spa, Inc.
    www.pentairpool.com
    1620 Hawkins Ave
    Sanford, NC 27330

7. Back To Top    #7

So I changed the filter this weekend, and the way the filter slid off the core was ridiculously easy! My problem is my perception, it looked like the top part of the core was bigger than the filter opening, and therefore needed to unscrew or come apart somehow.

Thanks everyone for the help!

8. Back To Top    #8

Cartridge filters rock

OK, I'm a little bit biased........!

9. Back To Top    #9

I find my cart is very easy to clean. I'm almost cringing as I get ready to move to a DE filter.
    Clearwater, Florida

12,000 gallon kidney shaped gunite pool
    Pentair Whisperflo 3/4HP Pump
    Pentair CCP420 420sq/ft Cartridge Filter
    Pentair Intellibrite 5G 120V Pool Light