My Pool store says to keep fc at 1.0 to 1.5

bats

Jan 7, 2010
Hi i live in montreal canada and my local pool store is telling me to keep my fc at 1.0 to 1.5.

I have a salt system and your sight recommends a fc of 3.0 How come there's such a differance.

Also they say to keep my cya at 25 to 35 ppm you site recommends as much as 70 to 80 ??

Thanks

Welcome to TFP.

Your SWCG manufacture probably recommends somewhere between 50-80ppm for the CYA. 35ppm is about right for a non-SWCG pool.

The 1-1.5ppm just won't work with a stabilized pool. The CYA renders a portion of the chlorine ineffective until the remainder is used up, which makes the chlorine act like it is at a much lower level.

My cya was at 0 and they didn't suggest for me to raise it at all.
My total alcalinity was at 60 and they told me to raise it to 80
My ph was at 7.4 and they said that was fine.
My fc was at 1.0 and the guy said wow my salt machine was working great(lol)go figure.

My calcium was at 210 and they said this was fine for a vinle undergound 42000 litre pool.
My salt was also fine at 3100ppm.

So according to you i should bring up my cya to about 70 or 80 by puting in the stabilizer in a sock and putting it in the skimmer.And i should bring up my fc to about 3.0 ppm.This is the popular setup?

Thanks Serge

Your manufacturer will recommend a particular CYA level for your SWCG. Go with what they recommend.

Here's an article about SWCG water care: Water Balance for SWCGs

And one on Chlorine levels: Chlorine CYA Chart

You'll note that for a SWCG pool, the chlorine levels are recommended to be a minimum of 3ppm, with the target value at 4-6ppm depending on the CYA level. You should try to operate so that you stay closer to the target level.

Yup...most of the folks on this forum are tired of being "Pool Stored"...there are still good shops out there and 1ppm constant FC would be fine without CYA, but you would have a hard time maintaining that 1ppm because with no CYA it burns of so quickly.

CYA level of 70-80, in an outdoor pool, allows your SWG to keep up with chlorine demand vs it being burned off to quickly by sunlight.

BTW, welcome to TFP :wave: , just checking though your pool is an outdoor pool or indoor?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.