New to pools

Nick39

May 20, 2010
Hi there. I am a new to owning a pool. I just had my concrete pool sandblasted and repainted. I finished filling it yesterday and got the pump running today and hung 2 kg (not enough, I suspect) of stabilizer in socks in my skimmer and in front of one of the returns. I have been reading through pool school and specifically the recommended levels. I think I recall reading somewhere that I should use the recommendations for vinyl pools rather than the plaster pool chem levels, is that correct?

Any help is appreciated. Lots of information throughout the site and in pool school as well but its a little overwhelming and taking some time to digest.

Thanks,

Nick

Hi Nick, welcome....
Yes, since the pool is painted, it's not as important that your CH be as high as plaster. You can treat it as if it were vinyl and follow that CH range.
Have you added chlorine yet?

It is alot of info to absorb, but trust me, it will come in time...I remember feeling VERY overwhelmed and frustrated and wondered if I would ever "get it"... :)

Thanks for the help. Got the chlorine in this morning and everything seems okay at this point. Did some tests and various levels seem to be in the right ranges. Will take a water sample to my pool store tomorrow to confirm.

Nick