BBB vs Traditional method

May 21, 2010
I am new to pools and just getting started with the bbb method. so far my pool looks great, but seems like im buying a lot of bleach. Is it really that much cheaper to use bleach then just normal chlorine. I get 1.42 gal bleach at walmart for 2.50 at 6%. I can get agua chem for around 6 bucks whick is 12%. I dont know how big that bottle is so I will have to recheck unless someone else knows. That works out to be 3 bucks for the chlorine being its twice as strong. Not a significant amount of difference for me to have to add more chem and lug more stuff around. Can someone give me the benefits to the BBB method.

The primary benefit is that you are not adding CYA to the pool when chlorinating. One of the biggest problem with tri-chlor or di-chlor pucks is that they add CYA to the pool. Over time this builds up and the chlorine is less effective at the same ppm so a higher FC ppm is required. This can be managed if you do regular CYA testing and if you backwash a lot but many prefer to use just bleach. Some people will use pucks until the CYA gets to a certain level then go to bleach. The other two Bs are always appropriate.

BBB has little to do with being the cheapest method to maintain your pool (although it just might be). It has everything to do with being the smartest way to maintain your pool.

Through careful, accurate testing and gaining knowledge of what your test result means, you control your pool by understanding how your pool will respond when you apply Clorox, muriatic acid, Tri-chlor, Cal Hypo, CYA, etc.

You become in control of your pool through the knowledge you gain using BBB.....and not by the dictates of a pol store which may not have your best interests at heart.

It is a bonus that BBB is about the cheapest way to care for a pool but it's because your control the outcome through understanding.

pitmanr2003 said:
I am new to pools and just getting started with the bbb method. so far my pool looks great, but seems like im buying a lot of bleach. Is it really that much cheaper to use bleach then just normal chlorine. I get 1.42 gal bleach at walmart for 2.50 at 6%. I can get agua chem for around 6 bucks whick is 12%. I dont know how big that bottle is so I will have to recheck unless someone else knows. That works out to be 3 bucks for the chlorine being its twice as strong. Not a significant amount of difference for me to have to add more chem and lug more stuff around. Can someone give me the benefits to the BBB method.

Yup, that is how to do it, get whatever is the better price.

As you get to know the tests and your pool you will find that it will not take much time to keep the pool looking beautiful. I suggest you keep a log book of things you have learned and all test results along with what you did and why. Just like monitoring your gas mileage in a car, the records can tip you off to when something is going on that you cannot see yet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.