Jandy Deck Jets complete vs. nozzles only installation

Jul 17, 2009
Hello all,
I'm planning on adding four Jandy Deck Jets to my pool. I've found them at around $250 as a set of four. They come in a body that has the rotating nozzle, and decorative covers.
http://www.inyopools.com/Products/02600 ... 02=1016676

Now, I also found that i can buy the nozzles only for about $70 for a set of four.
http://www.westsidewholesale.com/deck-j ... 3236313938

I plan to install the jets about 8 feet in the landscaping area so from my understanding, i could just use the nozzles, and plumb them to fittings and basically don't need the actual bodies.
I do see how you will need the full bodies in case you were installing it on the paved/concrete deck, but since i will simply put them in a landscaped area, don't see the reason.
Anybody that dealt with this or has an idea to share, I would appreciate.

Thanks much!

as long as the threads on the nozzles aren't proprietary (and it wouldn't shock me...) and you came up with a way to secure the nozzle in place (not difficult) i can't see why it wouldn't work. if you find out about the trheads, please post. you could call customer support or bring a pvc or cpvc nipple into a pool store and try to thread them together...

armstrr,
It would be nice to see them in hands to check. Do you know of a retailer or pool store chain that actually have them?
Leslie?
btw:
If some are questioning why I'm thinking to do that: $70 vs $250 in today's economy is big.

Great find....I am tempted to just buy these replacements and try them out. Same situation as you, 2 ft of concrete off the back of pool and trying to decide whether to place the jets in the concrete or just put them in the landscaping for ease of use/repair.

Let me think about it today and if I buy them I will let you know. I really hope it is just a standard pipe thread.

themilkman
Cool,
My guess is that they are standard thread, if you look at Pentair deck jets that are (surprisingly) similar, i think they actually call out 1/2" threads.

I'm worried about something else and that is the cover and its possible task of keeping the nozzle head from popping up and "flying" I wonder if that "decorative" cover is just decorative or if it serves to support the nozzle in some way.

Let me know.
Thanks!

Hey Bop,
I assume that you have these jets.
I just purchased and received the nozzles. Seems like it us 1/2" standard threads.
However if you look inside, they have something that looks like four fins. I assume this is to break/channel the water stream such that it gets uniform and not break before it hits the water. If possible, could you tell me whether the body itself also have some special shape. For the body i refer to the inside of the fitting pipe where the nozzles is connected.
If so, I can only guess that my way of using them will not get me as "nice" stream as i could get with the whole assembly complete?
That again, only if the body has some special property/style/shape on the inside of it.
Thanks!

i printed the installation instructions for them today (they are on my list...where did you get yours?) and noticed that they included drain ports in the body portion....so it may serve to capture any errand spray...but i would thing it would be minimal. you could probably do a quick and dirty with a garden hose. if something IS required...i am sure a little ingenuity and a little 2.5" pvc could approximate the body portion...and an end cap properly cut would approximate a cap. hard to make the cap adjustable, but certainly a couple of stainless self tapping screws would hold them in place.

my gut says that none of that will be required, though!

Hi armstrr,
Yeah, since I'm planning to put them in a landscaping space, there is not problem in noting having a body that will cover them. The drain holes that they mention simply drain some excess water/spray that is trapped in that body (that i don't have). Otherwise, that body will serve as a container (if it was sealed) and probably get algae and other nasty stuff grow inside of it...
My last question/concern came about as i checked the nozzles that i got, and realized that the internal "bore" has those fins that serve some purpose...Maybe the body itself also has some fins or something else in that portion of pipe between the connection down below to the threaded female 1/2".[attachment=0:32dxayk6]noz2.jpg[/attachment:32dxayk6][attachment=1:32dxayk6]noz1.jpg[/attachment:32dxayk6]

Attachments

• noz1.jpg
    noz1.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 461
  • noz2.jpg
    noz2.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 457

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey,
I installed the 4 jets last summer. They are working fine.
Just make sure you have enough water flow to satisfy the number of jets.
Also, put a valve for each jet, a MUST.
Be ready for some water to splash out and also upon turning off.
I should take some pictures and post them here...

glad to hear it! i was certain there would be no reason for it not to work... certainly nice to hear from someone who tried it.

i assume you could run 4-6 jets off a 1.5 line with a simple ball valve right at the jet head, correct? or am i misunderstanding. i would think it would be impractical to run dedicated lines for each jet with valves at the pump pad.

It depends on the distance from your pad (pump) and the jets. It is more convenient to control the jets from the pad.
I run 3/4" pipes for each jet split at the pad from 2" line. The pipe itself is so cheap ($1 for 10 feet) so since you already dig the trenches anyways, I think running 1.5" or the individual 3/4" will cost you same.
I have a 2 speed Jandy 1HP UR. I run a 36" waterfall using the low speed, and if i select the jets, i put the high speed. Most of the valves are half closed, so i still have some room/capacity to run more jets... I once tried to open the valve full and the jet shot over the pool width (about 35-30 feet). The distance of the jets from the pump is about 10' the closest, and 35' the far one.
I'll post a pic maybe over the weekend.
Also, i have the pipe risers coming at 90 degree. Since you aim the nozzles at the pool anyways, I'm considering adding 45 deg. elbows so that i could have better arches and less "spillage".

I have been digging around on doing this very thing. I am wanting to install some jets in the landscape vs the deck. So this worked out ok the way you did it. I would love some pics and any info on how you hooked them up, plumbing and all. And what you may have done different, if anything.

How far do you figure they shoot? My deck is 6' on 2 sides and 8' on ends, so to be in the landscape it will need to shoot at least 8' I think. Thanks for any info! I will be running a 1.5HP 2 spd Hayward Northstar pump.

Is the 1.5HP 2 spd pump dedicated to the deck jets? or is it the main pump that you'll be also using for the jets?
my (4) jets are running of 3/4HP Jandy Pump and also a 3 feet wide water fall.
I still have the capacity to add more jets, so you have plenty of power.
My jets can easy make a 12-16 feet throw. I highly recommend having a ball valve at the pad for every deck jet in addition have a master valve (preferably a jandy valve so you can automate this).
i run 3/4" PVC line to each jet from the pad. At the pad i started with 2" line and made a distribution manifold with Tees to 3/4", then 3/4 valves for each of the four jets and then 3/4" pipes.
the shortest run is about 10-15 feet, and longest is about 30-40ft. Since you put ball valves for every jet, you don't really care about the runs as you can adjust the flow as needed.

the 1.5HP pump will be the main pump, and also run any jets. I have a 20x40 rectangle and a cozy cove with jets. other than that I will just have the deck jets that I add. So it sounds like I could put the jets on the 8' sides like I wanted then. I really wanted to put them on the side closest to the equipment (which will have 8' of concrete), but was concerned they wouldnt hit the water that far out. I wonder if that will still work ok, with only having the one pump?

Maybe I missed it, but what exactly did you screw the nozzles into? I can picture the plumbing now and stubbing the pipes out until our landscaping is done and I know where I want them, but I am trying to figure out what you did from pvc to nozzle.

I believe the nozzles are 2-5 GPM, so you can calculate what the total flow is needed.
As far as pump is concerned, you have plenty of power. However since you're using your main (circulation) pump, you will probably need to add a 3 way valve such that you would select your return line the normally goes to the pool to go through a 3 way valve. One way to the pool, the other to the jets. I recommend adding a 2 way valved to the new line that splits of the 3-way valve. I'm assuming you have 2" line, so simply build a manifold with "Tee"s, and get 3/4" inch lines down. Connect each through a ball valve. Once everything is running, you would adjust the 3 way based on the flow that is needed. You might need 100% of the flow to achieve your desired results, or maybe some portion of it.

As far as the nozzles, that is simply a 1/2" standard PVC threads. If you come with a 3/4" riser, using a coupling that has 1/2" female threaded adapters going for $.35 at home depot.
I also recommend adding 45 degree couplings such that if the nozzle is straight, it would already be aimed at the pool. Even though the nozzle has ability to adjust, you'll find that it "shoots" the best when it is straight or close to straight.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.