need help

Feb 12, 2010
I have a 18' round 52" above ground pool that has been set up for 3 seasons now. I have the intex saltwater generator also hooked up but have yet to turn it on this season. I got algae at the end of the first season which cleared up with algaecide and closed the pool crystal clear. Last season I opened to crystal clear pool and I ended up with what i suspected to be mustard algae which I tried to get rid of by shocking and stuff from the pool store. It would clear up and then a few days later be back. We opened the pool last Friday and to my surprise the same algae was back. It looks like dirt on the pool floor and is only on the left side of the pool. It turns to a cloud when brushed. So I shocked the pool everyday until monday. I did the overnight FC test and for the past 2 nights there hasn't been any loss. I brushed the pool floor in the morning and by night time the dirt looking algae is back. The filter has been running 24 hrs.

These are the results from this am.

FC 10
CC .5
TC 10.5
pH 7.2
T/A 70
CH 100
CYA 50
salt 2450

i don't know what else to do. The water is crystal clear and has been since I opened the pool.

Are you sure it isn't pollen? Pollen tends to settle on the bottom and "blow" away with the slightest water pressure coming off a brush. Mustard algae tends to grow on the walls and floor of the pool on the shady side. While it will brush off, it takes a little force from the brush to dislodge it so it won't "blow" away.

does pollen look like dirt and brush away in a cloud? it doesnt have any texture. i dont have to use any force to move it. it collects in front of the skimmer and return. besides vacuuming, is there any way to get rid of it? would the solar cover be a way to test if its pollen?

Right, enough algae to be obviously visible would be lowering your FC level much more than normal.

Using a solar cover to test the pollen theory is a good idea. Pollen should collect on the cover, instead of on the bottom of the pool.

There are many many different kinds of plants, which each produce pollen at different times of the year. It is quite possible to have significant amounts of pollen at a number of different times of the year in one place, though just when those peaks in pollen production are vary a lot from place to place.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.