Please Help, My testing equipment from over the pond PICS

Question!!!

1st pic Total alkality (Looking at the bottom square)

2nd pic Free Chlorine (middle Square)

3rd pic PH (top sqaure)

How the heck am I ever going to get this right!!!????

The pool looks good and Iam doing guess work. Might as well stick My thumb in the air LOL

pH=about 15 haha!

What time did you test today? If you have no stabilizer/CYA, and you tested late in the day, you can expect the chlorine to be gone. Sunlight (yes, even through the clouds/london fog/british mist/whatever) eats up your chlorine.

If you have CYA and your chlorine is not holding overnight, (sundown to sunrise) you may be developing a problem.

Most of those strips require you to quickly dip it in the water and pull it out for the chlorine test, then to put it back in for 30 seconds or so for the pH and TA. After a few seconds, the chlorine test will be bleached out and useless. May be different than the ones I used.

JohnT said:
Most of those strips require you to quickly dip it in the water and pull it out for the chlorine test, then to put it back in for 30 seconds or so for the pH and TA. After a few seconds, the chlorine test will be bleached out and useless. May be different than the ones I used.

It told me to dip and move 3 times in a circuler way?

and then take from thumb upwards as per my Pics.

LOL

I just feel Like iam wasting my time and money????

JohnT - I've never seen strips that instruct you to do it that way - I'm curious what brand would that be?

Wampa - Some strips are just awful - only a few brands are marginally ok.

Can you not get a drop test kit, anywhere?

I did not see the first pic before... love the floating 'bar'!
Since you will be draining your pool at the end of the season, I would just hit it with bleach every evening, and not worry too much about the stabilizer/CYA. You might use a tad more bleach, but you have a small pool, so it probably won't be that much different. I would use the Jasons calculator (see my sig) and figure how much bleach you need to get to 3ppm. Then just pour that in every evening.
Glad you still have your skin :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Buggsw said:
JohnT - I've never seen strips that instruct you to do it that way - I'm curious what brand would that be?

Wampa - Some strips are just awful - only a few brands are marginally ok.

Can you not get a drop test kit, anywhere?

I had the instructions backwards. For the HTH strips I had in the past, the instructions are basically to swish the strip for 1 second, then wait 30 seconds to do the comparison for TA and pH, then put it back in the water and swish it for 30 seconds for FC. The reason being that the chlorine will bleach out the TA and pH patches. I still have the bottle and use it for spare reel parts in my tackle box. The bottle has an expiration date of Dec of 96, so things might have changed since then. :)

The Mermaid Queen said:
I did not see the first pic before... love the floating 'bar'!
Since you will be draining your pool at the end of the season, I would just hit it with bleach every evening, and not worry too much about the stabilizer/CYA. You might use a tad more bleach, but you have a small pool, so it probably won't be that much different. I would use the Jasons calculator (see my sig) and figure how much bleach you need to get to 3ppm. Then just pour that in every evening.
Glad you still have your skin :)

U all talk of hitting it with bleach. Went to asda today (walmart) no 1 has heard of liquid chlorine bleach. So will have to keep using granuels from Makro (cash and Carry)

We mean bleach like you would use in the laundry for washing white clothes. In the US the major brand name is Clorox.

You need to know what concentration (again, here in the US 'regular bleach' is 5.25%, 'ultra' is 6%) Usually it says on the back of the label somewhere. The really cheap store-brands or generic brands are sometimes as low as 3%.

You want plain old bleach, not thickened, or scented or anything fancy.

Hope this helps!

ETA again, since you have a seasonal pool, it would not hurt to use the granules, since you will be draining it anyway for winter. Read what granules you have (dichlor or cal-hypo) plug the correct product into Jason's calc, and away you go!

divnkd101 said:
Does this help your search. It is simple disinfecting bleach... I am not sure how potent. You can read the label. I found this in the cleaning section of the website (ASDA).

[web]http://www.asda.com/asda_shop/rc04_products/web_rc04_b_products_detail.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1936922052.1186261275@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccceaddliieikjicfkfcfkjdgoodglo.0&product_id=1862820&from_panels=&trolley_page=/rc03_trolley/web_rc03_a_trolley_body.jsp&item_status=I&on_promo=No[/web]

LOL The number 1 Thickend Bleach in the uk with a lovely Blue colour included....

Sorry cant stop laughing.... No way iam putint that in the pool, Would only just put that down the toilet!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.