Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Friend's Numbers, please advise

1. Back To Top    #1

Friend's Numbers, please advise

My friend is trying to start the BBB. Here are her pool store numbers (I'm trying to convince her to get the k-2006 since that's what I use):
    FC 2.6
    CC .1
    TC 2.7
    pH 6.8
    TA 0
    CH 0
    CYA 7

She has an AG 21' round. This is the same as what I have so I know it's 10,400 gallons. Here's what I have planned for her:
    1 jug of 6% bleach
    14 lbs of baking soda
    3 cups borax
    3 lbs CYA
    I got the amounts from Pool Calc. Does this look/sound about right? I'm a little concerned with TA and pH effecting each other. Walmart sells the 12lb bag so should she just opt for that instead of the full 14lbs? My other question is what about CH? I know it doesn't matter much for a vinyl pool but I don't know what target to shoot for.
    10,408 gallon, 21' round, 52 in' deep AG, half in ground
    Artesian Clear Master Plus Sand Filter, Artesian Turbo King 2 hp pump, installed June 08
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    GEAUX TIGERS!
    Pics taken 2012
    http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad25 ... CN0606.jpg
    http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad25 ... CN0607.jpg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Friend's Numbers, please advise

If your friend is close enough you should test for her.

The numbers you posted sounds suspicious. While not impossible it's hard to believe she has zero TA & CH. A CYA of 7 is sketchy too. But you probably already know all this.

It hard for me to recommend adding anything except chlorine if I don't trust the numbers. If you turst the numbers your plan of attack sounds right.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

When adjusting TA from near zero, bring TA up to perhaps 40, then test and adjust PH to a bit lower than what you actually want, then test and adjust TA to the final target, then test and adjust PH to the final target.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks guys! What about CH?
    10,408 gallon, 21' round, 52 in' deep AG, half in ground
    Artesian Clear Master Plus Sand Filter, Artesian Turbo King 2 hp pump, installed June 08
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    GEAUX TIGERS!
    Pics taken 2012
    http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad25 ... CN0606.jpg
    http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad25 ... CN0607.jpg

5. Back To Top    #5

Since extremely low CH levels don't occur very often, we aren't really sure what happens when CH is zero. There is lots of experience with CH levels around 50 being fine with a vinyl pool, but not much experience below that level.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

CH probably isn't zero, but if they used a test strip that's likely to be the number it showed. I lived in BR for 15 years and remember the water being extremely soft.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden