First TFT pool test

dcrob95

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 8, 2009
this will be our third year with the pool (25k, plaster) we inherited with the house we bought. I installed a compupool swg last year. I've relied on a cheap store bought test and test strips and pool store tests previously. Last year I decided to close the pool myself and I guess it went pretty well.

Pulled the cover off 2 days ago. Water was crystal clear with just some leaves that got in from the cover pulling off the edges a couple of times. I had to put in about 18+ inches of water to bring it back up to where it should be. It did drop from the level I closed it at, but I may have pumped some out when I had the cover pump running during the winter&spring.

Anyway, I threw in a few pounds of shock to start things off and a few bags of salt. Salt is still low, need about 3-4 bags more, so I'm not running the SWG yet.

First TFT test values taken yesterday, 1 day after shocking and letting the pump run overnight:

FC = 11.5
CC = 0
TA = 120
CH = 350
CYA = 40
PH = 7.5
Salt = 2450+/-
Temp = cold, thermometer broke & I need a new one, guessing 65? if I'm lucky

I used the 1lb of CYA I had sitting around to bring that up a little, but looks like I'll need more. Also some muriatic acid to bring TA down. Since the pool calculator tells me that the CYA will bring down the PH, should I wait to add acid or add less than what it tells me?

How does this sound so far?

Thanks,

Rob.

If your water is clear, I would only adjust the salt and CYA. Your pH and TA are not bad at all......I wouldn't touch them for now.

If your pH starts to rise (that's likely), then you can drive it down (TA will go down, too) with muriatic but I would confirm that it's going to rise first.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.