Backyard Patio

Mar 17, 2010
Spring, TX
Right now we have a wood patio, but it just does not go. We are going to pull it up and we want to pour down cement. Has anyone ever done this and any tips or tricks that you may recommend. We will be doing this over dirt. I told my wife we should do bricks, but she is concerned about stuff growing up in between. I told her we could use some caulk in between the bricks to prevent this. The bricks would be a lot easier to do, except around the other areas to where the concrete will match up to the existing patios.

Thanks.

Have you ever poured concrete before? It's not as simple as just pouring out over dirt. You need to form it up, put in sand base, shoot the grades for level, then finish it properly.

It's not as easy as it looks.

For a paver patio, you dont caulk the joints, you use polymeric sand. That keeps stuff from growing in the cracks. But, laying pavers takes some skill as well. Same kind of grade needs to be shot, the proper underlayment needs to be put in, compaction, etc.

bk406 said:
Have you ever poured concrete before? It's not as simple as just pouring out over dirt. You need to form it up, put in sand base, shoot the grades for level, then finish it properly.

It's not as easy as it looks.

For a paver patio, you dont caulk the joints, you use polymeric sand. That keeps stuff from growing in the cracks. But, laying pavers takes some skill as well. Same kind of grade needs to be shot, the proper underlayment needs to be put in, compaction, etc.

My wife has done it before. She used to go on church retreats and would do this type of thing. From reading you basically need to have a base area to pour it in. She used to use some type of chicken wire. Also you are supposed to pour it a little higher so when it settles.

bk406 said:
mynewpool said:
bk406 said:
Also you are supposed to pour it a little higher so when it settles.
No. What area of the country are you in? Depending on where you are, you could get this professionally done for 3-4 bucks a sq ft.

Texas. I read on the internet you do it a little higher so when water or something is cleaned off it is level. I may not be using the exact correct terms, but something of that nature.

My advice is to have this professionally done. To be honest, the questions you are asking leads me to believe that a DYI job would be a disaster. You really want something that will look good around your pool. I'd hate to see a bunch of hard work and effort go into something you will not like. Sorry to be so blunt, but IMO, there are some great things a person can DYI. But, if you have little to no experience, concrete isnt one of them. Especially when you could get it done by a pro pretty cheap.

If your bound and determined to DYI, read all you can. And again,no, you dont pour it higher than you need. Not sure what you read or the context, but that is wrong.

bk406 said:
My advice is to have this professionally done. To be honest, the questions you are asking leads me to believe that a DYI job would be a disaster. You really want something that will look good around your pool. I'd hate to see a bunch of hard work and effort go into something you will not like. Sorry to be so blunt, but IMO, there are some great things a person can DYI. But, if you have little to no experience, concrete isnt one of them. Especially when you could get it done by a pro pretty cheap.

If your bound and determined to DYI, read all you can. And again,no, you dont pour it higher than you need. Not sure what you read or the context, but that is wrong.

Have you built a patio before?

This is what I saw

Use a wheelbarrow to transfer the mixed concrete from the mixer to the project site. Then, using a shovel, distribute the concrete evenly and ensure you get plenty into the corners and against the forms. Build it up slightly above the forms (about ½") and then use your shovel to "stab" at the concrete vigorously to vibrate the concrete and help it settle and compact.

The form is referring to the area around that you have layed down prior to pouring the concrete?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I understand what they are saying about adding a 1/2 inch above the forms. But, it's not saying exactly what you think it's saying.

Yes, i've poured patios and house slabs. And..i've put in paver walkways, patios, circle packs, and one 1000 sq ft paver pool deck.

We just had a 16 x 16 patio extension poured when we had our pool built. I did the grade and had the pro's form, pour & finish it (broom finish). The grading was easy as the soil where I live is rock, sand and clay. We also had them pour two free form pads leading to the pool area about 27 sqft. We bounced the pavers idea around quite a bit as well but it would have been more cost for the extra grading and materials. We are really happy with the way it turned out. It has really improved our backyard. They make thin pavers to go over concrete if down the road you change your mind. We paid $927.00 for the patio extension and the free form pads. I only mention that because I know for most of us cost is an unkown and a big factor. Here are some pics of the project.
Formed and ready to pour
patio1.jpg

The crew
patio3.jpg

patio6.jpg

Finished product
patio008.jpg

patio007.jpg

patio006.jpg

patio009.jpg

I'm a DIY'er to the core. I did my pool barrier, landscape and everything else I can do to save myself some money. This was not a project I wanted to tackle myself. There is way to much visual impact to gamble and way to much cost and labor to have to redo it. Keep in mind there were at least 8 guys doing this job plus a cement truck. You can get good concrete pro's on Craigslist all day long.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.