Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump purchase advice

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump purchase advice

I'm looking to purchase a new pump. I don't know the HP of the old pump. The sticker is gone. Please see below for more pool specifics.
    I have found a used WhisperFlo pump locally for a good price. My concern with it is that it is oversized for my pool. It is a 1 HP model WF-4C. According to Pentair customer service I only need the 1/2 HP model. Is there a reason not to use this pump other than spending more money on electricity than I need to? Thank you.
    Outdoor fiberglass inground 15,000 gallons, Clean & Clear Plus 420ft. sq. filter, 1 h.p. WhisperFlo pump, New water cycler automatic chlorinater(not using), 1996 pool, TF-100 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump purchase advice

You might contact a local pool store and see if you can put a 1/2HP impeller on the WF-4C. Electric motors are sized by the load they can handle without smoking, so a 1HP pump with a 1/2HP impeller will use about the same amount of electricty as the 1/2HP pump, neglecting the effects of the extra weight.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. Anyone else have any advice?
    Outdoor fiberglass inground 15,000 gallons, Clean & Clear Plus 420ft. sq. filter, 1 h.p. WhisperFlo pump, New water cycler automatic chlorinater(not using), 1996 pool, TF-100 test kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

I agree with John and in fact I did it myself although with a Northstar pump. You should easliy be able to replace the impeller for that pump with a 1/2 HP. However, I don't recognize the pump model WF-4C and doesn't get any hits on the internet. Do you know what the "C" means?

Do you have any features that would require higher flow rates? Spa, waterfalls, cleaners, etc.

If not, then the 1/2 HP should be fine. But if you are going with a used pump make sure the wet end is in good shape otherwise you may end buying a new pump eventually anyway.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner