Is this really it ?????

aqualicious

LifeTime Supporter
May 22, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I feel like something really bad is about to happen. This is my first opening since we put the pool in last year. Things seem to have gone too perfect.

In April I stuck my hand in the pool, under the cover, and took a sample, chlorine was still very high. <4 I stopped counting because I didn't want to waste my drops.

Monday we pulled the disgusting cover off. barf...

Underneath my water was crystal clear, but I had to add 2 feet of water. Took forever, especially when we realized we forgot to put the plugs back in the filter and pump...duh.

Tuesday am, I realize I forgot to order more fas-dpd drops...(on order), so I don't want to waste them and I throw in, I would say, 3L of last year's leftover chlorine in, so hubby can go refill the canisters.

Tuesday noon I perform first test on my water.

FC 8
CC >.5
TA 200 (started the MA/aeration cycle today)
CYA below 30 (added cya sock)
PH 7.5

This morning:

FC 5.5
CC barely anything to turn clear.

Everything's been vaccuumed (mostly junk from my solar cover, left out all winter)
MA went in this morning and PH is currently at 7.2-7.3

Temp is 73 degrees

Can the kids jump in now? (I think the answer is yes, but sometimes need my hand held)

Was that an overnight Fc loss or during the day loss? If it was overnight, your answer is no. See Pool school overnight guidelines below:

To perform the overnight FC loss test:

If you have an SWG, tablet chlorinator, or other chlorine feeder, shut it off completely.

After the sun goes down, and at least 30 minutes after your last chemical addition of the day, test your water for FC using the FAS-DPD test.

Record that result. Do not put any more chlorine in your pool.

The next morning, as early as practical and definitely before there is any direct sunlight on the pool, perform the FAS-DPD FC test again and record the results.

If your FC level remained the same, or went down by 1.0 or less, the water is clean. There isn't any living algae or other organic contamination in the pool.

If you lost more than 1.0 ppm of FC, then there is something in the water that needs to be removed and you should shock, or continue shocking, the pool.

So if your 2.5 loss was during the night you need to shock. Note- 2.5 for during the day is fine but you should do the overnight to be sure. I just reread and saw your test was at noon. Chances are it is ok, but I would wait til tomorrow when you know for sure.

aqualicious said:
Temp is 73 degrees

Can the kids jump in now? (I think the answer is yes, but sometimes need my hand held)

Only a Canadian would think about swimming in 73 degree water :shock:

I say swim if they can stand the blue lips!

JohnT said:
aqualicious said:
Temp is 73 degrees

Only a Canadian would think about swimming in 73 degree water :shock:

I say swim if they can stand the blue lips!

Oh John..We (kiddo and I) were in at 73..as long as the air temp is warm, it's all good..

Yeah...well it's 30 something degrees here and the pool got up to a balmy 77!!!!! I guess I was shocked at the 73 because yesterday when we took the cover off it was 64.

Last year we were happy if the pool reached 75, the weather sucked so bad.

We, canadians were in the pool all day! EH! My son is still in there. I can't get him out.

Hubby is greek though. He won't set toe in there until it's 94. He only went in twice last year. :shock:

P.s. whoozer, yes that was a whole afternoon and evening with full sun exposure chlorine loss.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.