Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is my pool safe to swim in?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is my pool safe to swim in?

Opened our 33,000 inground, SWG, pebble finish pool 2 weeks ago. Had water tested, and was told to add 50lbs of salt, 2 gallons of muriatic acid, and 3 lbs of shock. We later discovered a rabbit carcass in the deep end. Contacted pool store, and was told to add another 2 lbs of shock.

We haven't swam in the pool yet - thinking this weekend would be the first time, so yesterday I checked chlorine and PH, and the chlorine levels seemed low, so I brought a water sample into the same pool store. Here are our numbers:

FC 0.1
    TC 0.1
    CC 0.0
    TA 64
    ph 7.2
    Calcium 178
    CYA 0
    Copper 0
    Iron 0

The pool tech indicated because my salt level was fine - 3300ppm - I shouldn't be concerned with the chlorine readings. Is that true? Can we swim tonight?

Many thanks.
    36K inground, Hayward 450SF Cartridge Filter, Hayward 2HP Pump, River Rok Granite Pebble Finish, soon to be SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is my pool safe to swim in?

As new as I am here, I have no idea as to why you would add acid as your PH is at the bare minimum as it is. It does need CYA in the 30-50 range and FC needs to brought to 3-5. Punch those numbers into the pool calculator you can find over in pool school and see what you get for your size pool. It sure is an eye opening education in regards to what the pool store is telling you to do.

Back me up experienced people!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Scoop out what you can of the rabbit.
    Take a look at this:
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...ya_chart_shock

The pool store will have you shocking weekly (major $$ on chemicals). With a SWG, once you get the pool balanced, you shouldn't have to shock at all. (At least not on a regular basis.)

For more knowledge, try http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/

Welcome to the forum. Folks here will be real helpful, just keep testing your pool and providing the numbers.
    13,500 Wilkes Vinyl AG (15'x30' rectangular)
    Hayward Power-Flo LX SP1580, 1HP
    Hayward S-160T High Rate Sand Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

The pool tech indicated because my salt level was fine - 3300ppm - I shouldn't be concerned with the chlorine readings. Is that true? Can we swim tonight?

Don't ever go back there...seriously. Salt is not a sanitizer...chlorine is

Please invest in a solid test kit, such as the TF100 from tftestkits.net or the Taylor K2006...you won regret it.

For now...IF and only if those results are accurate (which I doubt, given the comment) you need to raise your FC level and add CYA. Until you have reliable results, we can't really say it is safe.

Woody is right....please get some chlorine in the pool...about a 1/2 gal of unscented bleach will do and make sure the SWG is running.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

I would say you are not safe to swim until you get your chemistry under control. Buying your own comprehensive test kit is a huge money saver for sure, no more "recommendations" by the pool store!
    edited for poor english and confusion sorry.
    14x33 fiberglass freeform
    Variable speed Pentair intelliflo superpump
    420 Clean and Clear Plus cartridge filter.
    pool-school/pool_calculator , http://www.tftestkits.net/

6. Back To Top    #6

you mean not safe...right Whoozer? The problem is...without reliable results, we can't be sure
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

7. Back To Top    #7

Question - if my salt level is fine, and my filter has been running 12 hours a day, we've not swam, and it's not been that sunny/hot here, why is my chlorine not at an acceptable level?
    36K inground, Hayward 450SF Cartridge Filter, Hayward 2HP Pump, River Rok Granite Pebble Finish, soon to be SWG

8. Back To Top    #8

Well, if FC is low, that means that it's getting used up breaking down something. Organics/Algae/CC
    Of course, depending on how long your trip to the pool store is, your numbers could be off.
    13,500 Wilkes Vinyl AG (15'x30' rectangular)
    Hayward Power-Flo LX SP1580, 1HP
    Hayward S-160T High Rate Sand Filter

9. Back To Top    #9

If those numbers are right, and CYA is zero,. your chlorine will be eaten up the sun quite quickly. Get some stabilizer in there.
    40 x 16 IG Vinyl. Goldline SWG
    160 Sq Ft Roof mounted solar array
    2014 Hydropool Serenity 5000 Hot Tub
    The Pool School- A great place to start
    Jason's Pool calculator

10. Back To Top    #10

I agree...0.1ppm of FC is virtually zero. With CYA at zero, your FC should be at least 1ppm throughout the day. Without CYA your FC will be zero for most of the day. CYA keeps chlorine from burning off to fast. With a SWG, you want your CYA to be around 70ppm so that the SWG can keep up (generating chlorine) with the chlorine demand. Without any CYA, your chlorine is burning off too fast and your SWG can not generate chlorine that quickly.

11. Back To Top    #11

Rabbit carcass.... ugh. Let my little darlings swim when I know they will be getting pool water in their eyes and ears and noses? Not until it is sanitary, not just clear.

I wouldn't stick a little toe in there until I had the pool up to shock level (using bleach) and it held overnight with CC = <0.5. You won't get there depending on the chlorine produced by the SWG, you have to boost it and hold it using chlorine from another source. Once everything is clean, you can maintain with the SWG easily.

Stabilizer is needed, as everyone has suggested, up to at least 30 while you are shocking, to protect chlorine from the sun. Get it from Walmart or hardware stores or pool stores along with bleach or Liquid Pool Shock, which is concentrated bleach.

Follow the Pool School instructions for the process of shocking. Use bleach, not packets from the pool store. Cheaper and you can control your chemistry better by adding things separately as needed.

Then up to CYA 50 or whatever your SWG unit instructions say. Advice around here is typically to run CYA at something like 80 for SWG but that can be done later I think.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

12. Back To Top    #12

anonapersona - are you saying that the 5lbs of shock I added last week wouldn't have done the trick?

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

Hawk,

Pool School in the upper right hand corner of the page has an article entitled the ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry. That will help you gain a better understanding of the function of chlorine and why none of us would currently suggest you swim in the pool.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

14. Back To Top    #14

Let me ask you this - can I use the 'superchlorinate' feature on my system?

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by hawkfive
    Let me ask you this - can I use the 'superchlorinate' feature on my system?
    That isn't really going to help right now. The superchlorinate feature adds chlorine slowly, you need chlorine added all at once.

The most important thing is to start raising your CYA level up to around 70 to 80 and to add 10 ppm of chlorine all at once this evening after the sun is no longer shining directly on the pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by hawkfive
    anonapersona - are you saying that the 5lbs of shock I added last week wouldn't have done the trick?
    5# of 73% cal-hypo would get you from FC 0 to FC 12 one time. If it then went back to FC 0, which it is now, what do you know about the condition of the pool?

How can you know if the lack of FC right now is due to loss from sunlight or continued organics in the pool? If you have not held the FC at shock level long enough to prove that organics are all gone, I would not dare to swim in that pool.

Early on when we bought this house, my husband got Pink Eye. Could have been from yard work but it was also right after he opened his eyes under water in the hot tub. I was still sort of new at this pool stuff, doing it by the pool store reccs, and it was not unusual to get algae in the hot tub which implies that FC was at 0. I told him it must have been from working where the neighbors cat digs but I always suspected it was the pool.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

17. Back To Top    #17

Another question - sorry - we are newbies...

Is it possible to shock the pool properly without the FAS-DPD test kit?

18. Back To Top    #18

Yes, it is possible to shock properly without a FAS-DPD test, but you need to use extra chlorine to make sure you don't accidentally use too little. With the FAS-DPD test you can hit a level exactly, but with other test there is some approximating so you have to aim for higher numbers to cover the variability in the testing.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School