Order of gaskets on an above ground Skimmer

May 26, 2010
Gilbertsville PA
The instruction I have with my skimmer would suggest that working from the inside:
Front plate-Gasket-Liner-Metal wall-gasket.

What I do not understand is why would you place a gasket between the Front plate and the Liner. There could not be a leak there since they are both on the liner side. Does this gasket seal where the screw go?

It would make more sense to have the gasket between the liner and the metal wall.

Is the theory that the gasket will press the liner evenly against the metal wall and since the liner is soft the liner will seal itself to the wall. I could use three gaskets but I would need to glue the 1 extra gasket to the metal wall since it will not be accessible once the liner is installed

The instructions are right...there is always some moisture between the liner and the wall, but the liner will act as a seal for the wall/liner. The gasket is needed between the plate and the liner for the screws.

Just to chime in here. Each skimmer mfg may have a different gasket setup and procedure. Our Hayward widemouth has a single doublesided gasket connected at the inner edge so one side goes outside the wall between the skimmer and the other side DOES go between the liner and wall inside the pool. We also apply silicone sealer to the unit at installation. Follow the instructions with your skimmer since those gaskets are mfg to seal that particular molding on the unit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.