DFWTX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
Our vision of our dream pool is quickly becoming a nightmare.

What it boils down to is that I have to decide between sacrificing a SWG system for a chlorinator, or busting up our travertine coping because the pb won't warranty the coping with the SWG. Our salesman really dropped the ball and bid and spec'ed our pool with a in-line chlorinator even though we told him salt at the initial meeting. This is our first pool and we didn't understand, and the salesman or foreman never once said to us, that this was a chlorine pool--we just assumed that they did salt (we are such newbies that we didn't know what all the equipment was called!). If we stick to our wish of SWG, we will have to buy 2 SWGs for our size pool. Any advice? Is chlorine that much worse than salt? Will I really regret going chlorine?

Thank you !!!!!!

A salt water pool is a chlorine pool. The difference is that the chlorine is generated using sodium chloride rather than adding chlorine in the traditional way (i.e. granular, pucks, or liquid). The inline chlorinator is for loading up solid, stabilized chlorine pucks (looks like a hockey puck) that will meter chlorine into the pool.
Sounds like the builder is afraid that the salt may be a bit harsh on the travertine. Thats why he wont warrant the coping if salt is used. That being said, there is a lot of controversy around whether salt will really have that much of a effect on natural stone or travertine coping. Travertine is a pretty soft stone and porus. Even if a salt system isnt used, the stone should still be sealed. I have limestone coping on my pool and have a salt system. I havent really noticed an issue beyond a little flaking. But, thats normal with a softer stone, even without salt. I do keep mine sealed.
What is the warranty he gives with the coping if you dont use the salt? does he warrant that it wont flake or crack for a period of time?

How big is your pool that you might need 2 SWCG? What brand does he sell?

Welcome to TFP...we can help :goodjob:

How big is the pool? I doubt you need two SWGs

A Salt/SWG pool IS a chlorine pool. The SWG uses electricity to convert salt to chlorine.

Ask the PB, why he won't warranty the coping (What material is it?)...it is most likely the salt that he is concerned about. Although there are a few materials that may stain with salt...SWGs have been used for many years and are generally pretty safe. The level of salt in a pool is really not that high...generally 3000-5500ppm...you can use a SWG that is in the 3000 range.

Give us some more details and let's see if you can get this corrected.

A chlorinator works fine...all chlorination systems have their Pro/cons...but in the long run you will battle PH and CYA issues using a puck chlorinator.

Thank you!

We have a large pool, almost 40k gallons. 48' x 24', geometric. Honed travertine coping.

Since I posted this morning, the owner of the company came out and cut us a deal. The decking was not finished correctly (salt finished, plain, but the cement company forgot and tried to fix it after the concrete had set up--it looks like swiss cheese! Not the right texture at all), so they are willing to install 2 SWGs ( everything else is Jandy equipment, so I'm assuming Jandy on this) free of charge. They are going to seal the coping as well. I hope this solves things.

What do y'all think??

anonapersona said:
Swiss cheese? Are you in an area subject to freezing temperatures in winter?

Salt water is not compatible with some coping choices and in this case the coping should have been sealed I bet....

Salt systems from different manufacturers have different ratings. Some are rated for lower gallons and others for higher. It wouldn't be unheard of to put two lower rated systems on on large pool though my preference would be to choose a salt system rated for 40k gallons of water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.