Swamp Thing Living in Pool Light

Feb 17, 2010
Hey Guys!!

2nd year owning a pool and I decided that I would see if the swimming pool light works (1980's Star-Lite model) I tried turning on the light at the end of last season and the ground kicked it off before I could even tell if it came on. There is moisture behind the lens.
So we removed the light and green mucky algae mud came out with it from the niche, my question is....... Is this normal?? And can I just buy a new replacement light (I am assuming it is shot) without replacing the niche.

Thanks for the info

Dawn

My light was having the same problem last year. I had never had it out in the three years we owned the pool and thought I was going to have to replace it. After I took it out, I used a cloth to wipe every surface I could reach to get rid of the algae (and then shocked the pool!! YUCK!) My problem turned out to be a bad seal on the glass. After I replaced that and put everything back together, the light works fine. If yours lights up at all, this might be the problem and won't require a full replacement.

If you turn on the light while it is above the water, make sure you only turn it on a few seconds to test if the light is working. While out of the water it can easily overheat and ruin an otherwise good light. But if you dry it out, put it back together and turn it on briefly and it doesn't trip the breaker, a new seal might be a good first step and less expensive and easier than replacing the whole light.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.