Bleach is cheaper, but cal hypo is easier to carry

Nov 25, 2009
Cleona, PA
Last night we put our recycling out for the first time in 2 weeks. (Our collection only does recycling every 2 weeks.)

I waited till dark, and dragged out a recycling can filled with bleach bottles, a small box, and a big box filled also with bleach bottles. (Overflowing to be exact.)

To help shock I got a 25lb bucket of CalHypo. I figured at 40CYA I could go from 0 to 30ppm FC 5 times with that if I had to. To do the same with bleach would take at least 25 182oz jugs. The CalHypo is working, and my CH was low enough to not worry about it. (Been monitoring it too.)

The CalHypo was $85, the bleach would have been $65. But I couldn't find that much bleach in the stores around here. :)

Leslie's had 4 jugs (96oz) of 12% for $21. I could have gotten 8 182oz jugs of 6% for that price. (Hmm... would have been more chlorine.)

I think what I'll do next year, is stock up on 6% during the winter months. :)

I would recheck the prices at the store you mentioned.
I can get 2.5 gallons 10.5% liquid chlorine there for $4.86
They come in a reuseable container.
Call the main number on the website and check prices, then have them send you a quote to give to the store manager, they might price match.

mkenyon2 said:
Last night we put our recycling out for the first time in 2 weeks. (Our collection only does recycling every 2 weeks.)

I waited till dark, and dragged out a recycling can filled with bleach bottles, a small box, and a big box filled also with bleach bottles. (Overflowing to be exact.)

To help shock I got a 25lb bucket of CalHypo. I figured at 40CYA I could go from 0 to 30ppm FC 5 times with that if I had to. To do the same with bleach would take at least 25 182oz jugs. The CalHypo is working, and my CH was low enough to not worry about it. (Been monitoring it too.)

The CalHypo was $85, the bleach would have been $65. But I couldn't find that much bleach in the stores around here. :)

Leslie's had 4 jugs (96oz) of 12% for $21. I could have gotten 8 182oz jugs of 6% for that price. (Hmm... would have been more chlorine.)

I think what I'll do next year, is stock up on 6% during the winter months. :)

But the 4 jugs of 96 oz at 12%, is twice as strong as 8 182 oz jugs at 6%. So really you would use half of 12% as compared to 6%. So each jug of 12% should be like 2 jugs of 6%. So in reality or at least I would think you are getting the same amount. Granted 12% will lose its strength quicker, so that could play a factor as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.