it just hit me

May 8, 2010
so first pool and I have been worrying about everything. the filter was leaking then it was sucking in air, my deck was positioned funny, the ladder that came with the pool was junk so I bought wedding cake style steps which I think my 5 year old could have made better, I am paranoid everything is going to tear my liner I have the kids basically floating in the middle standing still.

Then it hit me. Its just a pool enjoy it and if the liner rips or the walls fall down or the filter leaks I'll put it back up. Anyone else over worry about every detail the first month.

My pipes were leaking when I first started up... but they were small drips, not really lowering the water level much. Then the drips stopped. (I back washed and dropped the PSI 5-6 points.)

Then I was shocking... thinking I'd never get my FC to stick. I was getting pretty anxious, as we just moved, and didn't really have a budget for pool care this year. :oops:

Last night I was able to see the shock level hold for 3 hours before bed. It dropped a bit by this AM, but I slept the sleep of a man at peace with his pool.

My first year/season I was so worried about the whole 'chemical' thing and fearing I'd burn everyone's hair off that I was at the pool store almost DAILY to get my water checked. Of course each store gave me different results and different solutions and I spent A LOT of money 'fixing' problems ... .

The second year/season, I thought - I've got this down and never tested so I had a lovely swamp to clean up each month!!!

Third, fourth, fifth and now my SIXth year/season ... I found POOL FORUM which eventually led me to TROUBLEFREEPOOL and now I'm a much happier pool owner.

It's true, we get these pools to ENJOY and have our friends/family have FUN. There is some 'taking responsibily" for keeping things SAFE and SANE but I hope you find the happy medium and find time to see the joy your pool creates.

dpool

I am so excited this year to have a truly beautiful pool that when people actually started SWIMMING in it, I was a little nervous, thinking 'gads! They'll use up my FC!!!!'

Now I'm just freaked out about swimming in someone else's pool who may not be as OCD as me. :roll:

poolgirl22 said:
I am so excited this year to have a truly beautiful pool that when people actually started SWIMMING in it, I was a little nervous, thinking 'gads! They'll use up my FC!!!!'

Now I'm just freaked out about swimming in someone else's pool who may not be as OCD as me. :roll:

This reminded me of something one of the pool store people said my first year. I was having trouble keeing the pool water numbers right and they said something like, 'each swimmer CONTAMINATES 500 gallons of pool water each time" Since I just have a little AGP, I thought - maybe I shouldn't let anyone swim - that'll keep things perfect!

And as for swimming in other pools - ya, once you KNOW that high clorine smell usually doesn't mean there's alot of chlorine in the pool but alot of "contaminates" ... it kinda keeps you out of some pools! HA!

dpool

I obsessed this year starting up, since it was the first with our pool. Today we just spent the afternoon, lazing around the pool and deck, just the wife and I. Totally relaxed. I told myself 'The chemistry is fine don't worry.'
I did check the FC when the sun went down, and yes, the chemistry was fine.
And my wife, who's not big into swimming and pools said, 'You know, every time I swim in a pool, I usually come out smelling like chlorine, even after I shower. I don't notice a smell this time.'

It made my day!

This is our 3rd summer with our pool. I obsessed the first two summers because our situation is a little different. We had our Doughboy buried three feet, with a 7' deep end. The installer said to give it a season or two to allow the dirt to stabilize around it and under it and it should be fine for anything...except draining it! In fact, he suggested, if we could wait, not to even swim in it for the first season. He also said, "DO NOT ever drain this pool!" We have a higher risk of collapsing if we have to drain it for whatever reason, like replacing the liner. I griped at the kids the first season (ours and the neighbors') if they pushed off the sides, fearing they would cause some kind of wall shift. And we told them not to poke their toes and heels into the Happy Bottom (creating big divets).

Well, this season, divets and all, we're relaxing and finally enjoying our pool. I even push off from the sides now - feel like the dirt has had 2 1/2 years to settle. I still fret over the liner, since that is still a risk for us. But as far as water balance, TFP has been a Godsend! I don't worry one bit, the family knows our pool is safe and it's so nice never smelling like chlorine. The moderators on here are absolutely wonderful, as are all those who contribute all the valuable information that keeps us safe, happy and sane!

I'm in my first season with a pool and I have to say that I always tend to test right before anyone gets in because I'm afraid of burning someone, etc. even though I know I'm much better off following TFP than what any pool store might tell me. Hubby has gotten annoyed by it and said something the other day. Even though I check my levels frequently, I'm always afraid maybe I missed something and really don't want to hurt anyone. The only thing I've felt the need to do before people get in is to down the ph a bit (trying to bring down high TA from initial fill anyway) and sometimes a drop of chlorine if I know we're going to have a heavy swimmer load and I want the chlorine to last throughout the swim. I have some swimmer's who I'm sure would freak if they saw me lugging a chlorine bottle out to the pool while they were taking a break... LOL !

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, after finding this forum and having perfect water every year, about the only thing I fret about our pool is not having enough time in it! Darn that rain on weekends.....

Also wouldn't allow the dogs in the pool after being warned they could tear up the liner (oh boy could they), but we just trained them to go back to the ladder when they wanted out. However, this proved to be quite difficult because they'd much rather be on MY raft! :-D

After re-reading this entire thread, it seems there is a great lesson within we can all benefit from.

By just being on this forum and subscribing to BBB, we, as a group, are a pretty far cut above average in the amount of attention and care we give our pools......my guess would be we are somewhere in the upper 10-20%.

Knowing that, and knowing it is within our collective nature to obsess a little, we should remember why we have these pools/spas in the first place.....as a source of enjoyment.

So, based on the knowledge and understanding we all gain from each other here at TFP, I'm going to quote ducati's sentence in his first post as a reminder......
Then it hit me. Its just a pool enjoy it and if the liner rips or the walls fall down or the filter leaks I'll put it back up.

Added to that....if the water gets green or cloudy, you'll fix that, too. ENJOY YOUR POOL!

That is absouletly correct! This forum has been invaluable and a godsend. Build it and they will come.....

I just hope more percentage find it....I just know when sitting in traffic and hearing the horns blare and the fingers raising to the sky along with dirty looks, I only can think of one thing: They all must have green pools!

Yes, the rain! :rant:

Yesterday, the wife and I were driving around doing our errands and such, doing what needed done. It was hot, sticky, and hazy. Finally, we were on our way home, and my wife who is not usually the first to get in the pool declared she was going in the pool! I get home, jump in my suit, and start pulling the solar cover off (it doesn't take that long) as dark clouds and a cold wind come up! I was in the beautiful (still crystal clear :party: ) 83 degree water for about 5-10 minutes. When the clouds got dangerously dark (we've had a lot of thunder/lightening storms lately) it was too cold to want to get out, the water felt soooo good!

Oh well, there's still July and August yet, right?!

This is not only my first season with a pool, we have only had it up and filled for 4 days! I do suffer from OCD and I don't want everything perfect, I need everything perfect. I have been a little rough on the kids about jumping off the ladder (deck is to be built in a week or two) and standing on the sloped edging under the liner. I hope that as time goes on I will settle down a little bit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.