Plaster Dust

Oct 8, 2009
I have a quartz finish in my pool, finished in Oct 09 and still I am getting plaster dust when I brush the pool. Is this normal? I am almost positive that it is plaster dust...looks like a cloud when I brush. I thought the plaster dust was a 2-4 week thing until it has cured?

I have a Polaris that runs every day and I vacuum the pool once a week. I also keep the solar cover on so I'm thinking it's not dirt.

Any thoughts?

It is something other than plaster dust. Chances are with a quartz finish they did some type of an acid wash and then brush vac'd the pool. They should have cleaned the filter as well. I would say that they got 95% of the dust through that process, and your brushing after that (for the next week or two after the finish was applied) removed the rest.

I can't tell you what you have, but I can tell you it is not plaster dust. How do your chemicals/levels look?

All the chemical levels are good and on target. The "dust" seems to collect near the steps and sunledge where the polaris doesn't seem to clean too well. There is a return above the "dust" collection areas. I'm wondering if it could be DE?

I have not needed to backwash the filter as of yet, so I don't think it's DE. It is light in color. I can see it before I brush it away from the steps. Maybe it is pollen or something settling out of the water? Just a guess. It's not a big deal- just something else to clean up! Thanks for the help though!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.