Newbie Needs Help!! Salt level drop overnight in green pool

Jun 11, 2009
HI There:

Hoping you guys can answer a question. We have a 27' round ABG that was installed last summer. We opened it about a week ago. Put the salt in and got the level up to 3200. In the meantime, we bought a clear solar cover that has been on the pool the last two days. Yesterday pool turned green. Went to pool store and they told me to shock it. Put in the shock and later added algacide per their instructions. Still green this morning but water is clear.

My questions are: My salt level dropped down to 21000 overnight after shocking it. Is this normal?

Should also mention that I only have test strips to use for now. Shows the chlorine level is still high so I don't think it burned off overnight.

Also...my pressure gauge on my filter got damaged....pool people are supposed to be bringing me a new one this week. So I can't even tell when to backwash the filter. Filter has been running 24/7 so we could get the salt levels up.

I'm taking a sample to the pool store today and will order a decent test kit. But in the meantime, is that normal for the salt level to drop so much overnight after shocking?

Your salt level didn't drop. The only way for the salt to drop is if you backwashed it out or splashed it out.

You need to shock the pool and you need a good test kit in order to know your FC level accurately.

I suggest taking a sample of water to the local pool store and have them check it then come back here and post the results. That'll help till you can get your own kit.

Thanks! That's exactly what I'm planning on doing. In the meantime, I put one 50lb bag of salt in and the reading is now at 2600. Just added one more bag and will check it in an hour. After that...I'm not adding anymore until I get to the pool store later this morning.

Do you think there could be a problem with my cell that is affecting the reading?

Thanks again!

That's the most likely scenario.
How old is the cell and when's the last time you cleaned it?
And just to be sure I understand correctly. The cell read 3200 one day and 2100 the next? Those weren't test numbers?

No they weren't test numbers. Last night the cell read 3200 and this morning it was 2100. We got the pool new last summer. First cell they gave us was bad and they replaced it with this. Didn't have any problems all summer. Just opened the pool last week. Will call them later this morning too.

Bama Rambler is correct; your salt level did not drop. Be careful how much salt you add, and never trust the reading on the cell! Get an accurate reading of your true salt level before you add any more salt.

Thanks everyone! Well...went to have the water tested and they told me I needed stuff for PH and stabilizer, etc.. But then I explained that the pool turned green two days ago and that I had shocked it and put in aglacide per their instructions. Well they then told me not to buy anything but the stuff that removes metal. They think it is probably that because there is now no algae in the pool and it is very clear.

Came home and put some in and it does look a little lighter so I'm hoping this will work.

I talked to the company that sold me the pool on the phone and they think that it is also metal and that this is masking the salt level.

So....hopefully I'll be back to blue soon! I was glad that they told me not to buy other stuff and to try this and come back in two days to retest it.

I'm gonna go ahead and say it. You came here looking for advice and got it. You've been here long enough to know that our whole premise is knowing what you put in your water and why. Yet you just dump some stuff in your pool because the pool store told you they thought it might work. Did they even test for metals? If so what were the numbers? If you take nothing else away from this, please don't put stuff in your pool without knowing what it is and why your adding it.

I'm not trying to be harsh but just dumping stuff in isn't the way to go.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bama Rambler: I understand what you're saying. NO......I did not just dump "stuff" in the pool. I have had the water tested twice. The first time it required a shock treatment and they suggested adding some algacide. Today I had it tested again (actually went to two places to be doubly sure) and they both tested the water and told me the same thing. I have metal in the water. I added the correct amount recommended by both places and they have told me that it should clear up within two days. They then suggested adding some stabilizer to it tomorrow which I plan on doing. It already looks clearer.

I don't have the numbers in front me....they are in a folder in the car....but all the numbers were similar and very much in line with what has been said on these boards. So...I am confident that I am heading in the right direction.

Just trying to learn.

That is great news! I would invest in a test kit if I were you and take full control of your pool (get rid of those strips :shock: ). Remember, the pool store is there to sell you stuff, and, at least from what I have experienced, does not always have the most knowledgeable folks working (it never fails when I am in the pool store that I have to "correct" what the salesperson told a customer. So many times they just repeat something they were told. Most, again, in my area, that work in these stores don't even own or maintain a pool!). Once you take ownership of your pool, you will be amazed at how easy it really is, and the sense of pride you will have seeing the results! The folks on here won't steer you wrong, and have nothing to sell you!

Sounds like you are going to have a great weekend :party: :whoot: :cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.