Maxsrents Pool build

Max,

That is the million dollar question. Tons of threads and posts that you read, you will always learn something new. What some builders do and don't do. Every build is unique, there is no question about that. I can't answer your question as to whether it should or should not be included. I will tell you that I just went back and read my contract.... it makes no mention of the joint sealer (caulk). I do remember discussing because I had to choose a color. Perhaps other individuals in your area will chime in and offer suggestions. My suggestion would be to ask the builder what color did you guys decide on once the foam is removed and see what his response is. Good Luck.

Thanks for the advice. I will speak to the PB tomorrow. The frustration never seems to end.

dvnkd101-I'm Carolyn and my screen name was from when my son "Max" was born. As in Max's parents=maxsrents. :-D

Thanks Sean. I knew you would jump in. And Carolyn, no harm intended on using name "Max" to respond. Most individuals do not want their name spread across the forum and I can respect that. Just ask TMQ, she can attest to that. And you ask, who is TMQ.... don't worry, she is everywhere.... She is royalty.

maxsrents said:
There is foam between the coping and the concrete deck. I asked my PB about it and he said it gets removed. The salesman came by today and when I showed it to him-he said it remains there or we can pay a price and have some sort of caulk put in. It looks so bad. What should be there??

maxsrents,

I'm in the fina lphase of getting my pool built. In the procedure packet that my PB gave me they called it MASTIC. They explain it as "a mastic expansion joint is a rubber epoxy substance that will setup over 12 to 24 hours depending on temperature and should cure in 3 to 5 days." According to their instructions, no walking or stepping on it. Watch any loose pets. They will track it on your deck.

My PB used foam to protect the coping when they were pouring the deck. When they came back to do the Mastic, the installer removed all the foam and put sand in the gap, then applied the mastic. Its very sticky, so just like rogerbrks said, Do Not Touch it and let any pets step on it, it's a very sticky rubbery caulk. They matched my deck paint. If I remember correctly, this was the last thing on the build. They told me they had to wait so many days after the concrete was poured before they could do it.

Here are a few shots of the Mastic between my flagstone and deck.

53.jpg

54.jpg

55.jpg

Well-obviously the salesman and the owner don't communicate well. I was told by the owner that he will trim the foam, melt it down and apply the caulk, as he normally does upon completion of the job. They came and started the filter today and tomorrow they will finish up and leave us with a sparkling clean pool. :-D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
maxsrents,
I remember a thread on poolforum about people doing the caulking themselves; you might search there for more info if you'd like to go that route. I think duraleigh (Dave) was one of the people who posted in that thread so you might try PMing him if you can't find it.

Cheers.

We are having sod put in around the pool and are curious as to the amount of care needed. Does anyone have experience with sod? How much water was needed? Is fertilizer necessary? (the landscapers put fertilizer and lime under the sod) It looks beautiful now and we want to keep it that way!

Water everyday for awhile. Light watering a couple of times a day is even better. The sod does not have deep roots yet so it has to get its water from the surface.

I would water everyday for 1-2 weeks and then move into a more normal watering routine with longer less frequent watering times as the lawn matures and the roots go a little deeper.

Some people will tell you not to fertalize new sod but I've done it both ways and I think it is best to go ahead and use a product like "Turf builder" from Scott's right away. I would apply it by hand though since the spreaders tend to through the granuales pretty far and you don't want them getting into your pool or on your deck.

Make sure to post a picture when it's all done.

hth.

Sean

Like Sean said, every day or twice a day for now... when you can no longer grab a corner of the grass and easily lift it up, the roots have taken hold in your soil and you can reduce watering, but depending on your area (can't remember where you are... heat and humidity), you may still need to water a couple times a week, even if you get rain. After it is well-established, give it an inch a week.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.