Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Anionic Polyacrylamide

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

Anionic Polyacrylamide

This is the main ingredient in a stain and scale prevention product that I know of. Does anyone know what it is, how it works, whether or not it's effective? Is it a chelating agent for iron/copper/manganese?

Thanks again. Next paycheck, becoming lifetime supporter. Unless my truck explodes again.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Anionic Polyacrylamide

It's very similar to a polyacrylate, which is the gel like stuff in disposable diapers and which is added to some detergents and bleaches as a sequestering agent for laundry.

From what I read, in water it is sequestering agent for metal chloride salts, at least iron. It appears that it would be at least somewhat effective at making the metal salts "filterable".
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Re: Anionic Polyacrylamide

Not worried about filtering them, worried about sequestering them. I was told by a tech for the other sequestering agent that I sell that "it's not very effective for iron, but works great for copper."

Wondering if I can sell the anionic polyacrylamide or if I need to stock something else.