Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Plumbing on Suction side of Pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Plumbing on Suction side of Pump

I read where the plumbing on the suction side of the pump should be a straight piece of solid pipe that is 5x the pipe diameter. Thus, for 2 inch pipe there should be a 10 piece of straight pipe on the suction side of the pump. Would it be OK to put either or both a straight thru shut off valve or a union within this 10 inch section?
    14,000 gallon in ground plaster pool with Hidrazzo goulstrem blue finish with infinity edge and spillover from spa, Pentair challenger 1 1/2 HP filter pump, 2 HP Pentair challenger spa jet pump, Hayward 30" sand filter, Pentair IC40 SWG, Raypack 5100 heat pump, Jandy Aqualink PS8 controls, Kreepy Krauly

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Plumbing on Suction side of Pump

If it's a full port valve (many aren't) then it'd be fine. A union is fine as well.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

i just added a 2 unions to mine, suction side, and discharge side, so i can take it apart quickly if need be, and for storage.
    20x40 IG vinyl, grecian style, 32.5k gal, hayward ec75a perflex d.e. hayward super pump 1 hp 80 gpm, 8 hr 38k gal turnaround

4. Back To Top    #4

Is a Jandy 2 way valve a full port valve?
    14,000 gallon in ground plaster pool with Hidrazzo goulstrem blue finish with infinity edge and spillover from spa, Pentair challenger 1 1/2 HP filter pump, 2 HP Pentair challenger spa jet pump, Hayward 30" sand filter, Pentair IC40 SWG, Raypack 5100 heat pump, Jandy Aqualink PS8 controls, Kreepy Krauly

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, I believe it is. The regular T handled valves aren't.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit