Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: please help

1. Back To Top    #1

please help

Fairly new to the pool scene.Just opened pool (inground 18x32) noticed pump was kicking off tripping breaker. Got a new 3/4 superflow pump. Pump will run for hrs, after I shut off pump very hot and has to cool down before timer kicks in, also notice my vacuume doesnt have the suction it used to have . Possible causes. please help LOL
    24' round 4ft deep above ground
    1.5hp proline pump
    Proline Cartridge Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: please help

Sounds like the pump is too small. Or the filter is clogged. Or both.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

original pump was 3/4 and supplier gave new hayward 3/4 pump superflow. how can i tell if I have a blockcage in any of my lines. the circulation in the pool is fine , just notice my vacuume manual doesnt have the suction it used to have and I notice my pump is quite hot but not tripping breaker. Only when i shut off it kicks on after 5 or 7 mins . I know the the pump has a thermal overload , and when pump is cool enough it comes back on. So therefore am thinking maybe a block somewere
    24' round 4ft deep above ground
    1.5hp proline pump
    Proline Cartridge Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

What is your pressure reading? Can you post the information on the plate, particularly the SF or Service Factor?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

Not all 3/4 HP pumps are really the same HP as each other. Motor companies play this game where they label the same motor with different HP ratings for various marketing reasons. JohnT is asking about the SF, or service factor. The SFHP, which is SF * HP, is a better way to compare two motors.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School