Cooling the pool- water to warm!

JMarch

Jan 25, 2010
It's not even June and our water temp is 90 degrees! Been running the pump 24/7 with the jets pointing upward for surface agitation and the fountain on. Any other ideas out there for cooling the water?

This year we have a new darker liner (last one was almost white). This one is med/dark blue and it seems to be heating way fast! In full sun, the liner at the bottom of the pool feels warmer than the water and in the shaded parts and the white steps, the bottom feels about the same temp as the water. I don't think it's in my head- the darker liner definitely seems to be heating the pool a good bit!

We are having an unseasonably warm May season- luckily we do swim mostly early AM and in the PM- just thinking that last year, with the jets turned up and the fountain, we kept the temp around 86.

The only thing I could suggest is to not run the pump during the day. By minimizing circulation you will warm the water surface quite a bit which will increase evaporation and maximize the heat loss at the surface.

Wow, wish I had your problem!
All I can think of is one of those solar blankets that are reflective to cut down on the sun heating, but it will hold the heat you already have too so probably not gonna help too much.

I suggest running the fountain in the cool hours only, probably before 10 AM and after 6 PM. Circulate less in the heat of the day. And a strategically placed umbrella might help. We had a Giant Bird of Paradise that shaded the pool a lot, it really made a difference. Lost most of that plant to the Big Freeze this winter so the pool will be warmer this year.

I put this together from pieces of PVC I had laying around. Prior to using this pool temps are easily 90-92. After running this for 2 days, pool temp usually drops to around 84-86. It is amazingly effective (evaporation) and it is free.

Removed eyeball fitting and screwed in this contraption in it's place. I had to close off other eyball to get enough pressure to send the water this high......the tinier drops you can get and the higher you get the drops, the more cooling you will have as the water travels through the air.

Kids like to play around it, too. The falling drops are usually kinda' chilly.[attachment=0:30o42g7r]poolcooler.jpg[/attachment:30o42g7r]

Attachments

• poolcooler.jpg
    poolcooler.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 432

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
i see that big fountain duraleigh built but i wonder if a windy day will blow it outside of the pool and lose quite a bit of water. i've been looking for ways to cool my pool and have seen evaporation/fountain type systems. i was wondering if they really worked. the one i really liked sprayed the water out across the top of the pool and you could swivel it down below the water surface if you didn't want it spraying you while in the pool. plus it looked decent too. just hesitate to buy because the return policy is a joke and they are $40 a piece, too much to throw away if they don't work.

and why is it better to run the pool at night only? how does that help the temps?

Looking for reviews on the mist cooling system I read about. Many good reviews online, but I always take those with a grain of salt...Our 18x40 IG has been very warm this summer, between 92-97 and is just not refreshing. I am willing to try this system as we'd have to empty a lot of water out, losing precious chemical balance just to add fresh and get the temp down which is what pool store recommended. Will post my review once I try it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.