Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cooling the pool- water to warm!

1. Back To Top    #1

Cooling the pool- water to warm!

It's not even June and our water temp is 90 degrees! Been running the pump 24/7 with the jets pointing upward for surface agitation and the fountain on. Any other ideas out there for cooling the water?

This year we have a new darker liner (last one was almost white). This one is med/dark blue and it seems to be heating way fast! In full sun, the liner at the bottom of the pool feels warmer than the water and in the shaded parts and the white steps, the bottom feels about the same temp as the water. I don't think it's in my head- the darker liner definitely seems to be heating the pool a good bit!

We are having an unseasonably warm May season- luckily we do swim mostly early AM and in the PM- just thinking that last year, with the jets turned up and the fountain, we kept the temp around 86.
    14'x28' vinyl liner inground 3.5-6' deep wedge hopper 15000 gal (used to say 13000- I calculated wrong), 1 hp pump with sand filter, 2 returns, 1 fountain, traditional chlorinated, pool house.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cooling the pool- water to warm!

The only thing I could suggest is to not run the pump during the day. By minimizing circulation you will warm the water surface quite a bit which will increase evaporation and maximize the heat loss at the surface.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Wow, wish I had your problem!
    All I can think of is one of those solar blankets that are reflective to cut down on the sun heating, but it will hold the heat you already have too so probably not gonna help too much.
    25k gal vinyl AquaRite T-15

4. Back To Top    #4

Heat Pumps with Heat and Cool modes will let you heat your pool efficiently and allow you to cool the pool over the hot summer months.
    Sean Assam - Sean@teamhorner.com
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps www.aquacal.com
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators www.autopilot.com

5. Back To Top    #5

I suggest running the fountain in the cool hours only, probably before 10 AM and after 6 PM. Circulate less in the heat of the day. And a strategically placed umbrella might help. We had a Giant Bird of Paradise that shaded the pool a lot, it really made a difference. Lost most of that plant to the Big Freeze this winter so the pool will be warmer this year.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

6. Back To Top    #6

When I was in SC I ran my jets and fountains at night during the coolest part, my pool was always 8 degrees less then everyone elses!
    14x33 fiberglass freeform
    Variable speed Pentair intelliflo superpump
    420 Clean and Clear Plus cartridge filter.
    pool-school/pool_calculator , http://www.tftestkits.net/

7. Back To Top    #7

if you have a solar system, you could run it at night if the night temps are cooler than your pool water.
    20x47' double roman vinyl liner pool. Pentair EasyTouch 8PSC-IC40, 011018 Pentair IntelliFlo, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus Filter CCP420, Pentair 120V IntelliBrite LED, Cleardeck indeck solar reel, 530 sq' solar system Polaris 9300xi robot, Interfab Turbotwister slide, S.R. Smith T7 diving board, deck jets vinyl-liner-pool-build-in-ontario-canada-new-pictures-t30213.html

8. Back To Top    #8

i too will try running pump at night to cool off the pool went swimming today and water temp was 94

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

I put this together from pieces of PVC I had laying around. Prior to using this pool temps are easily 90-92. After running this for 2 days, pool temp usually drops to around 84-86. It is amazingly effective (evaporation) and it is free.

Removed eyeball fitting and screwed in this contraption in it's place. I had to close off other eyball to get enough pressure to send the water this high......the tinier drops you can get and the higher you get the drops, the more cooling you will have as the water travels through the air.

Kids like to play around it, too. The falling drops are usually kinda' chilly.[attachment=0:30o42g7r]poolcooler.jpg[/attachment:30o42g7r]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Look at you and your sparkliness!!!

Pretty lab too!
    Backyard pool-less, but used to be.....
    16,100 gallon, 18x38 3.5 ft deep oval AG, Vinyl, Sand, 1hp pump
    http://www.poolservicestech.com Liquidator
    http://www.poolcalculator.com/
    http://www.tftestkits.net TFT100 test kit

11. Back To Top    #11

i see that big fountain duraleigh built but i wonder if a windy day will blow it outside of the pool and lose quite a bit of water. i've been looking for ways to cool my pool and have seen evaporation/fountain type systems. i was wondering if they really worked. the one i really liked sprayed the water out across the top of the pool and you could swivel it down below the water surface if you didn't want it spraying you while in the pool. plus it looked decent too. just hesitate to buy because the return policy is a joke and they are $40 a piece, too much to throw away if they don't work.

and why is it better to run the pool at night only? how does that help the temps?

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by armstrr
    if you have a solar system, you could run it at night if the night temps are cooler than your pool water.

Yep, the solar collector will act as a cooling heat exchanger on cool nights.

13. Back To Top    #13

Most cooling will take place through evaporation. This is exactly how refrigeration and A/C systems (and that fountain) work.
    Pool is DONE!
    Pentair Intelliflo VS3050
    Pentair Easy Touch 8 + actuators + swg
    Pentair IntelliPH
    Pentair 400btu HD heater
    3- Jandy WaterColor LED's
    Hayward C5030 525sqft cartridge filter
    Waterway spa blower

14. Back To Top    #14

I bought one of these. It's the same principal as the fountain above. It does work fairly well.

http://mistcooling.com/poolcooler.htm
    15,000 Gallon IG 15x30 fiberglass
    CoverStar auto safety cover
    SWG Aqua PL-PLUS
    Cartridge Filter
    240,000 LXI Heater

15. Back To Top    #15

Looking for reviews on the mist cooling system I read about. Many good reviews online, but I always take those with a grain of salt...Our 18x40 IG has been very warm this summer, between 92-97 and is just not refreshing. I am willing to try this system as we'd have to empty a lot of water out, losing precious chemical balance just to add fresh and get the temp down which is what pool store recommended. Will post my review once I try it.
    2010 18' x 40' IG, SWG
    27,000 gal, vinyl liner
    Jandy Aquapure salt chlorinator
    Mineral Springs Salt Sanitizer
    Jandy CL460 cartridge filter system
    Polaris pool cleaner
    Coverstar auto safety cover