Should I have shocked the pool?

May 17, 2010
I am converted. After reading the forum I have gone to the BBB system. I bought a TF test kit. Last summer I had terrible algae problems and spent beaucoup $ on chemicals as recommended by Leslies.

A local pool company suggest I perform a water treatment at the beggining of this season. I am pretty sure it was borate as I needed to add a significant amount of acid (I did this before finding this forum).

On reciept of my test kit I got the following readings

FC 5
TC 5
CC 0
PH 7.5
TA 140
CYA 100+
CH 450+
Borates 50
H2O Temp 80

No visible algae

The CYA and the CH bugged me. I slept on it and early the next morning drained 70% of the water and refilled. That night I added the required chlorine and got the following test readings:

FC 6.5
TC 6.5
CC 0
PH 7.5
TA 110
CYA 50
CH 370
Borates 30
H2O Temp 82

I have since been keeping up with the bleach not allowing the FC to get below 5.5. It is now Tuesday and I have seen a couple of small patches of green algae.

All that and I still have algae................ :shock:

What he said.

You may still have algae hiding in the filter or behind the light. I don't know what time zone you're in, but it's still before bedtime anywhere in the US, so you'll have time to do the overnight test. Then you'll know, objectively, whether you need to shock or not. That's the beauty of having your own test kit.

When you tested CYA, did you mix real good? Was it in good light? And did you test, pour back in the bottle, and test again a few times? If your reading is more like 60 or 65 instead of 50, your Chlorine is just below the safe line.

How long do you run the pump each day?
You may have bad circulation in some places and therefore are seeing lower FC in spots.
Try testing the water by taking a sample before the pump runs close to where you're seeing the green. (we normally don't recommend this I'm just trying to see if that's the problem)

I took a sample this morning before the pump started to run and got FC = 5.5, maybe I was not so accurate the night before. I rechecked the CYA, I am pretty sure it is 50. No signs of algae this morning, I will check again this evening. I added enough chlorine to achieve FC = 7.5.

I run the pump 7 hours per day, once in the morning 8 - 11:30 and then 4 - 7:30. You may be correct about the dead spots, there is not a jet close to the main algae areas.

Well, that could be part of the problem then - I'd just concentrate on brushing those problem areas once a day for a while and see if the problem reoccurs...keep an eye on the chlorine demand, an excessive overnight drop could indicate you should still shock. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
UPDATE:

The algae is back! There are very small patches on the walls that brush off easily.

I have been very diligent about testing and keeping up with the pH and free chlorine level. I have not allowed the FC to fall below 5.5. I have rechecked the CYA and still come up with 50ppm. The pool temp is now about 90F, its getting very warm here. I have added water as required to keep the level up but not a significant volume.

I brushed the walls at the weekend, its Wednesday and I already have signs of algae. I am thinking of adding borate to see if it will help.

Any ideas

You could also have a circulation problem. Next time you check your chlorine, test it at its lowest before you add more chlorine to the water and get your sample near where the algae is forming on the wall. If the FC level is very low there but seems more normal in other areas where there is no algae, then you might look at the circulation pattern in your pool such as the direction the returns are pointed and your pump run time and when it is run.

UPDATE: Last saturday I decided to add the borate. Fifteen cartons of 20 Mule Borax was a lot of borax. I had to go to 2 Targets and empty both stores shelves. Saturday morning went well only the odd question from my wife "what are you doing out there?" I ended up not shocking the pool. The result was amazing. I had two parties for kids last weekend. Even after 2 parties the water was crystal clear after a bit of filtering and after a week of very hot temperatures here not a trace of algae. GO BORATES!!

Thanks BBB. I have converted a guy here in my office, he is convinced. One of the other guys here says its too much trouble and threw another tablet in. Each to his own.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.