I need to know what I am doing wrong

Jul 8, 2007
Sacramento, CA
I need to know what I am doing wrong... :rant:

I moved into this old house with an old pool several years ago...and it's always been a bit of a struggle to keep on top of keeping the pool clean. I replace the cartridge every year.

This spring I had to drain the pool, then refill it and started with a new cartridge. The filter is a "Mytilus", single cartridge unit. The cartridge is six inches in diameter and around two feet long. So the PSI was around 15 when I put in the fresh cartridge. It's moved up to 30, so I sprayed it with a high pressure nozzle. It went down to 20 for a day or so then back up to (now 35) and whining. I've had this in for maybe two weeks...little algae was in the pool when I put it in. I've not used clarifier in the pool this year. Chlorine level is okay.

I've had this happen in the past...where I will wash it, and it will start at 30, then creep back up to 40 psi. I hadn't expected it to happen so fast this year since I had drained the pool.

I'm assuming operator error...so feel free to :hammer: away.

frustratedpoolmom said:
I'm wondering if there is a blockage somewhere...

Since it was okay for the first four days (15-20 psi) I am assuming no blockage. I think I may not be taking care of the cartridge??? I will try TSP next.

frustratedpoolmom said:
Why did you need to drain? Was something done to the pool/chemical treatments? (just thinking out loud...)

My pool was a lovely shade of green. I would add chemicals and the algae would laugh at me. :(

The water was (mostly) clear. :mrgreen:

Actually...it was clear, but as mentioned there were leaves and such still in the pool bottom. My sweep has been picking most of it up, baskets getting some too. I have noticed some debris in the cartridge when I wash it. But eventually the rinse off does run clear.

I was wondering...is there a good brush for this? I've tried other household brushes in the past, but I'm thinking a bottle brush might work good.

Do you have a leaf rake? Best to get that junk out of the pool, it just uses up chlorine and introduces organics and stains.

And, since no one has asked.... what are your tests results?

When my psi went up and my pool would not clear it was because I needed a new cart. I wasted 4 weeks with 2 older ones and got no where fast. I replaced with a new one and voila, now I have a rapidly clearing pool.

Thanks for the replies. :cheers:

I've been rather busy, and haven't spent a lot of time with the pool. or in here. To answer some the questions asked...

My tests results have been good.

Yes, there is debris in the pool. It's mostly all gone now. I had some debris when I first posted, then I had a lot of branches trimmed from neighbors tree's that were hanging over my pool. The branches all dropped in the pool as they were cut, so I then had A LOT of debris in the pool.

I got in and vacuumed today, I think I got the rest of it. I stopped using my sweep as the (separate) motor for it has gotten very loud and so I think it needs new bearings.

I soaked the cartridge over night using a cartridge cleaning solution with no benefit. I have it soaking in TSP now...finally found some...and I promise to buy one of the nozzles I've seen mentioned. I have been using a plastic hose nozzle I purchased at a pool supply store a few years ago.

So I'll post again after I rinse the cartridge and run the pool again. It was at 40 psi today, then I cleaned it and it went down to 30 psi. That's been the lowest I have been able to get to. Otherwise, I will have to buy my second cartridge of the season. :(

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey,

Rereading this entire thread, I believe your problem is in your pool water and not the filter. I am pretty sure you are trying to clear a pool that contains algae (even though you may nopt be able to see it) and it is clogging your filter.

Please post a full set of test results and we'll help you get your pool cleaned up.

Your psi guage is broken if it's reading 40. Pool pumps can only produce about 30-35psi. They are cheap to replace (<$10) and a working guage is very important.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.