shocking,shocking,shocking - chlorine still low

May 25, 2010
I took the water in to get tested at the pool store and was told to add 2 lbs of shock. (53% cal-hypo), this is first opening post winter.

All other readings were considered normal (except Cyanuric Acid and I was told it would start showing up after a week. Stablizer is in tablets (we put a couple of those in floaty thing).

I added 2 lbs, then added 2 more lbs and FC came up to .5

I've added 2 more lbs twice (so 8lb's total) and FC still appears to be .5

It has been covered most of the time btw. Is this a reasonable amount of shock? I've tested with 2 types of strips and the FC appears to be .5 on both...

I just want to make sure I'm not completely off-base. Thank you much!

Can you share the other test results with us and also describe what the water looks like?

Edit: no, not normal - each 1 lb bag should raise the FC level by 4 so something is consuming it.

If your CYA is lower than 30, then the tablets won't raise it fast enough and you could be losing most of the FC to sunlight (and possibly organics).

Well, in that case I would purchase some stabilizer to get your CYA level up to 30. Then I would use Liquid Bleach instead of Cal-Hypo cuz your hardness is getting up there...

Then I would shock the pool:
Shocking Your Pool

And do that until the FC is holding overnight. Something is consuming the chlorine, it's either organic or the lack of CYA. Once you rule one out, etc. etc. you'll need a way to test the water yourself to make sure the FC is holding overnight....do you have a kit of your own?

Is your plan to use trichlor tablets for daily chlorination? - if so you should raise the PH to 7.6 and the TA to 120 ish - using pool store products or a combination of Borax and Baking Soda.

Learn how to use the Pool Calculator - there is much more info on all of this in Pool School. Post back if you need further clarification :)

Ok, thank you for the advice, I'll go get some stabilizer. I will purchase some Bleach also. I have a big bucket of tablets, so I'll be using those until they are gone I think.

You know, the pool guy said we may need our filter cleaned, could there be enough bugs, etc in there that it may consume the much chlorine?

My girlfriend is telling me to ask if I am bleaching out the strips...(I don't have the good tester kit yet) :)

When is the last time you backwashed the sand? Backwashing should remove anything organic that would consume the chlorine.
It's unlikely the case of a bleached out strip. But I'll tell ya, even the Walmart 6way drop test kit is better than strips....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.