Taylor fas DPD reagent replacements?

ethany

LifeTime Supporter
May 23, 2009
Trenton NJ
I need to replace my R-0871 titrating reagent. I went to leslie's and they sold me R-0002 DPD reagent #2, are they the same reagent or did they sell me the wrong stuff?

Also they told me the Leslie's kit is the same as the taylor k-2006. The only thing I noticed is the leslie's kit just had DPD on the label and not FAS-DPD like the Taylor kit.

Sorry if i sound ignorant but fairly new to testing, I just read the directions and go from there.

They told you two lies, and hoped you were too dumb to figure it out. They were wrong! :-D

DPD reagent 2 is not the right stuff, you should return it. The reagents are all Taylor, so R-0871 is what you need. Their kit is the same as the K-2005, which does not have the FAS-DPD test, just regular DPD; it would use R-0002. They don't sell R-0871 because they don't sell any FAS-DPD kits.

There actually is a Leslie's kit that is the same as the Taylor K-2006. It is called the Leslie's Chlorine FAS-DPD Service Test Kit. Hardly any of the stores actually have it in stock. Very frequently, if you ask for it they will sell you the kit that is the same as a Taylor K-2005, and claim that it is the other one.

No, R-0002 DPD reagent #2 is not the same stuff as R-0871 FAS-DPD titrant. Sometimes a Leslie's will have R-0871 in stock, but mostly they don't.

There are a number of places on the Internet where you can order Taylor reagents, including TFTestKits.net.

Melt In The Sun said:
They don't sell R-0871 because they don't sell any FAS-DPD kits.

The other day I ran out of the DPD powder (R-0870) and called Leslie's. They told me they had it in stock. When I got there, the guy couldn't find it so he poured some from their own stock into one of their Leslie's water testing bottles. When I got home I poured it into the empty R-0870 container from my kit. The guy gave me enough to completly fill the container about 2 times :)

I just got my FAS-DPD kit yesterday :-D Had to order it took a week, got "the pool guy" deal from a cool employee $43.00 I have some green alge growing on rough edges and under a few blisters (pool needs to be replastered) I'm super clorinating it up to at least 30ppm and am testing twice a day so I'm in the same boat as you, I'm using alot of drops from the R-0871 Here is what I found tonight
Leslies:
http://www.lesliespool.com/browse/Home/ ... 30/I/81348
FAS-DPD Titrating Reagent, .75 oz. $8.49
FAS-DPD Titrating Reagent, 2 oz. $12.89

Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-FAS-DPD-Ti ... 689&sr=8-2
Taylor FAS-DPD Titrating Reagent (Chlorine) .75 oz R-0871-A $8.35
Taylor FAS-DPD Titrating Reagent (Chlorine) 2 oz R-0871-C $10.49

I'll see if they will give me a deal on a reagent, usually I have to buy enough of somthing to make it look like a pool guy purchase (whole bucket of shock, 7 boxes of 2 gallon clorine jugs)ect..

civicturbo said:
I just got my FAS-DPD kit yesterday :-D Had to order it took a week, got "the pool guy" deal from a cool employee $43.00 I have some green alge growing on rough edges and under a few blisters (pool needs to be replastered) I'm super clorinating it up to at least 30ppm and am testing twice a day so I'm in the same boat as you, I'm using alot of drops from the R-0871 Here is what I found tonight
Leslies:
http://www.lesliespool.com/browse/Home/ ... 30/I/81348
FAS-DPD Titrating Reagent, .75 oz. $8.49
FAS-DPD Titrating Reagent, 2 oz. $12.89

Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-FAS-DPD-Ti ... 689&sr=8-2
Taylor FAS-DPD Titrating Reagent (Chlorine) .75 oz R-0871-A $8.35
Taylor FAS-DPD Titrating Reagent (Chlorine) 2 oz R-0871-C $10.49

I'll see if they will give me a deal on a reagent, usually I have to buy enough of somthing to make it look like a pool guy purchase (whole bucket of shock, 7 boxes of 2 gallon clorine jugs)ect..
Tftestkits.net R-0871 2 oz $9.40

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
chem geek said:
Also, the owner of TFTestkits owns this site as well so you indirectly help support TFP in terms of voting with your dollars.
I like that, I didn't know there was a connection :-D

Question, is that reagent calibrated drop/chemical wise the same as the taylor brand? Can I buy that refill for my Taylor brand kit?

Question, is that reagent calibrated drop/chemical wise the same as the taylor brand? Can I buy that refill for my Taylor brand kit?
Yes. The TFTestkit refills are Taylor chemistry repackaged in our own bottles. We carry refills for both TFTestkit and Taylor test kits.

While they are chemically identical, the Taylor branded bottles will fit in your existing Taylor kit and the TFTestkit refills will not.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.