Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Taylor fas DPD reagent replacements?

1. Back To Top    #1

Taylor fas DPD reagent replacements?

I need to replace my R-0871 titrating reagent. I went to leslie's and they sold me R-0002 DPD reagent #2, are they the same reagent or did they sell me the wrong stuff?

Also they told me the Leslie's kit is the same as the taylor k-2006. The only thing I noticed is the leslie's kit just had DPD on the label and not FAS-DPD like the Taylor kit.

Sorry if i sound ignorant but fairly new to testing, I just read the directions and go from there.
    20,000 gallon viking fiberglass pool w/aqua comfort heat pump, pentair whisperflo pump 1.5hp autopilot dig-220 swg w/RC42 cell (42,000), pg2000 fiber optic lights
    hayward sand filter(medium is echoglass)
    Blue diamond robot cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Taylor fas DPD reagent replacements?

They told you two lies, and hoped you were too dumb to figure it out. They were wrong!

DPD reagent 2 is not the right stuff, you should return it. The reagents are all Taylor, so R-0871 is what you need. Their kit is the same as the K-2005, which does not have the FAS-DPD test, just regular DPD; it would use R-0002. They don't sell R-0871 because they don't sell any FAS-DPD kits.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

There actually is a Leslie's kit that is the same as the Taylor K-2006. It is called the Leslie's Chlorine FAS-DPD Service Test Kit. Hardly any of the stores actually have it in stock. Very frequently, if you ask for it they will sell you the kit that is the same as a Taylor K-2005, and claim that it is the other one.

No, R-0002 DPD reagent #2 is not the same stuff as R-0871 FAS-DPD titrant. Sometimes a Leslie's will have R-0871 in stock, but mostly they don't.

There are a number of places on the Internet where you can order Taylor reagents, including TFTestKits.net.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you for your quick response. I am really running low so i was hoping to find a bottle nearby. No such luck.
    20,000 gallon viking fiberglass pool w/aqua comfort heat pump, pentair whisperflo pump 1.5hp autopilot dig-220 swg w/RC42 cell (42,000), pg2000 fiber optic lights

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks, just placed the order with tftest kits. Hope to get it soon.

6. Back To Top    #6

Do you have a county pool? The guys there will know where locally to purchase what you need.
    25' x 13' Roman, 12000 gal IGP, Plaster, with 500 gal Spa
    SWG, 1 HP Max Flo Pump, C-900 cartridge filter
    Solar heat

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun
    They don't sell R-0871 because they don't sell any FAS-DPD kits.
    The other day I ran out of the DPD powder (R-0870) and called Leslie's. They told me they had it in stock. When I got there, the guy couldn't find it so he poured some from their own stock into one of their Leslie's water testing bottles. When I got home I poured it into the empty R-0870 container from my kit. The guy gave me enough to completly fill the container about 2 times
    IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG T-15 - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)

8. Back To Top    #8

I just got my FAS-DPD kit yesterday Had to order it took a week, got "the pool guy" deal from a cool employee $43.00 I have some green alge growing on rough edges and under a few blisters (pool needs to be replastered) I'm super clorinating it up to at least 30ppm and am testing twice a day so I'm in the same boat as you, I'm using alot of drops from the R-0871 Here is what I found tonight
    Leslies:
    http://www.lesliespool.com/browse/Home/ ... 30/I/81348
    FAS-DPD Titrating Reagent, .75 oz. $8.49
    FAS-DPD Titrating Reagent, 2 oz. $12.89

Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-FAS-DPD-Ti ... 689&sr=8-2
    Taylor FAS-DPD Titrating Reagent (Chlorine) .75 oz R-0871-A $8.35
    Taylor FAS-DPD Titrating Reagent (Chlorine) 2 oz R-0871-C $10.49

I'll see if they will give me a deal on a reagent, usually I have to buy enough of somthing to make it look like a pool guy purchase (whole bucket of shock, 7 boxes of 2 gallon clorine jugs)ect..
    20,000 gal. 32' x 17' freeform custom pool, 3ft. shallow - 8ft. deep end, Pentair Whisper flow 2.2 HP WF-6, Purex/Triton Nautilus FNS48 DE filter, 2 Intex Chlorine Generators (retired) SR Smith Rouge Rapids curved slide, The Pool Cleaner 4-wheel model w/Hayward large leaf canister. Tightwatt pool timer Spa: Beachport 5 person/350gal. Wishlist: move Neiko Tools pump to slide, solar system, Fountain, Automation. http://www.poolcalculator.com/

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by civicturbo
    I just got my FAS-DPD kit yesterday Had to order it took a week, got "the pool guy" deal from a cool employee $43.00 I have some green alge growing on rough edges and under a few blisters (pool needs to be replastered) I'm super clorinating it up to at least 30ppm and am testing twice a day so I'm in the same boat as you, I'm using alot of drops from the R-0871 Here is what I found tonight
    Leslies:
    http://www.lesliespool.com/browse/Home/ ... 30/I/81348
    FAS-DPD Titrating Reagent, .75 oz. $8.49
    FAS-DPD Titrating Reagent, 2 oz. $12.89

Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-FAS-DPD-Ti ... 689&sr=8-2
    Taylor FAS-DPD Titrating Reagent (Chlorine) .75 oz R-0871-A $8.35
    Taylor FAS-DPD Titrating Reagent (Chlorine) 2 oz R-0871-C $10.49

I'll see if they will give me a deal on a reagent, usually I have to buy enough of somthing to make it look like a pool guy purchase (whole bucket of shock, 7 boxes of 2 gallon clorine jugs)ect..
    Tftestkits.net R-0871 2 oz $9.40
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

Amato Industries R-0871 2 oz. $7.36, but don't forget there's also shipping costs and TFTestkits ships much faster (Amato can take a week). Also, the owner of TFTestkits owns this site as well so you indirectly help support TFP in terms of voting with your dollars.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek
    Also, the owner of TFTestkits owns this site as well so you indirectly help support TFP in terms of voting with your dollars.
    I like that, I didn't know there was a connection

Question, is that reagent calibrated drop/chemical wise the same as the taylor brand? Can I buy that refill for my Taylor brand kit?
    20,000 gal. 32' x 17' freeform custom pool, 3ft. shallow - 8ft. deep end, Pentair Whisper flow 2.2 HP WF-6, Purex/Triton Nautilus FNS48 DE filter, 2 Intex Chlorine Generators (retired) SR Smith Rouge Rapids curved slide, The Pool Cleaner 4-wheel model w/Hayward large leaf canister. Tightwatt pool timer Spa: Beachport 5 person/350gal. Wishlist: move Neiko Tools pump to slide, solar system, Fountain, Automation. http://www.poolcalculator.com/

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

Question, is that reagent calibrated drop/chemical wise the same as the taylor brand? Can I buy that refill for my Taylor brand kit?
    Yes. The TFTestkit refills are Taylor chemistry repackaged in our own bottles. We carry refills for both TFTestkit and Taylor test kits.

While they are chemically identical, the Taylor branded bottles will fit in your existing Taylor kit and the TFTestkit refills will not.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

13. Back To Top    #13

Dura- Cool thank you