proper backwashing...

May 16, 2010
Southern Maine
Hi People,
Can someone fill me in on the "backwash" thing? How many minutes should I keep my filter on that setting a day if I am dealing with cleaning up a grubby and greenish pool? It's getting better with running the pump/filter and some chlorine, but my friend at work tells me I need to do the backwash thing a couple times a day for a couple minutes. I might need more specific directions! Also, does swimtrine really help as much as the pool store claims it does? It's awfully expensive...
Thanks for the help! This is a great site that I have already learned a lot from since joining earlier in the week.
Julia

I am replying to my own post because I realized I left out important information that is supposed to go in my signature- I will figure out how to do that soon! Anyway, I live in Southern Maine, I have an above ground pool, a Hayward pump and filter. It's 1800 gallons. Sorry I am just learning the ropes! Julia

Welcome to TFP! :-D

Swimtrine = pure liquid evil! :twisted:

It's copper based, so you don't want it in your pool. Plus it's freaking expensive (as you've already discovered)!!! How are you testing your water, pool store? We always recommend getting a good test kit and testing your own water. There is no pool problem that requires ridiculously expensive pool store chemicals to solve.

If you post some current test results (FC, CC, pH, TA, CH, CYA), we will help you get it clear!

Just saw you posted back...is 1800 gallons correct or should it be 18000?

Cleaning the filter happens when it needs it, rather than on a regular schedule. Any filter should have a pressure gauge, and if you have a sand or DE filter, you backwash when the pressure goes up maybe 8-10 psi over where you started when it was clean. If you have a cartridge filter, you don't backwash it, you open it up and clean off the cartridges by hand. Well, by hose.

If you tell us exactly what kind of filter you have, we can be more specific.
--paulr

Welcome to TFP, Julia!!

I'm gonna be moving to southern Me. before the new year and want to be on good terms with my new neighbors :)

Paul and the others gave you the straight dope :goodjob:

If you have any troubles next season, maybe I'll be able to hop on over and lend a hand in person :mrgreen:

Swimtrine kinda rhymes with latrine, which is probably where it belongs.

I've had very good success with what's recommended here - avoid the fancy named chemicals and get chlorine in there.

Thanks Everyone!!!!
Yes, the chlorine is helping a lot. We have moved to a light sage green. I guess the problem is also related to iron in our water. We actually have a water cooler installed in our house because our well has so much iron they don't recommend we drink much of it- especially the kids. This is fairly typical in our area of Maine. So, here are the levels we got at the pool store-
Alkalinity- 40
ph 7.6
calcium 60
iron 1.2
chlorine 0
I think that is it.
Last time I thought I had 1800 gallons, but the pool people told me I have 7500. I'm a little embarassed, but I thought that was what I remembered...
They recommended quite a large amount of chlorine as well as "staintrine" for the iron. They said we can use shock stuff in a couple days, but not until the iron level gets better or it will make the pool brown.
The good news is that the water is pretty warm after all the hot days this week!
I love this site- my son says it's my new facebook... I read all kinds of good stuff! julia

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.