Repair ropes on Coverstar autocover

gglmn

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 5, 2007
We have a Coverstar autocover that is 6 years old, 1 year out of warrenty. The ropes broke right after we opened our pool this year. I spoke with the installer and he said that Coverstar went to a new rope system and it would cost $700 to replace the ropes. That's very expensive rope! It seems to me that from searching the web that Coverstar only sells to contractors through their distributors. I'd like to replace the ropes myself so I don't have to leave the cover open all year. Can anyone help?

Did a quick fix and it's working fine. I could have purchased new lines at the local pool store for $175 each, $350 plus tax. It is good rope, 8.1mm / 3/16th with a 4,500# tensile strength. To replace it with 4,500# rope bought online would cost about $136. Since my cover is 6 years old, and I'm thinking about replacing it, I opted for poly rope that I got for 6 cents a foot, total price, $13.48. It works great, but I don't know for how long. It only takes about an hour to replace though.

My rope broke as well, but as luck would have it it was the last 12 inches that attaches to the leader bar of the cover. I was able to unwind the rope a little more from the spindle as the installer left extra. However, my next task is to reattach. The Coverstar rope has a cloth wrap that is sewn over the rope that leaves a tab that exposes to my leader bar. How did you attach your replacement rope?

I used a seem ripper and a sewing awl. You could but 3" nylon webbing at a fabbric store and sew the new webbing to the rope. You can get a sewing awl at a saddle shop or Habor Frieght Tools, they're online.

Can anyone give me step by step instructions on repairing a broken rope on the coverstar? I have a top mount system. Do have have to take the track off to get to what the rope connects to? Any help would be appreciated.

I took pictures of the process, but it will take a day or two to put it together. I have the toprail. The rope has 3" webbing sewn to the end where it attaches to the front of the cover by 3 or 4 nuts bolted to a plate. Remove the plate and detach the rope. Then remove the pully at the far end. Then loosen but don't remove the track. Remove the old rope. Sew 3: webbing to 5/16th rope. I needed a 95' and 115' length. Webbing runs in a channel on the pool side. The new rope is easy to put into the outer channel just by lifing the track and laying underneath. Run the ends through the pullyes and reattach to the drum with the screws and your done. If you have new rope with the webbing attached, it's an hour at most. If you post your email I can send pictures.

I think from your other posts and some other things I've found online, I've figured out how it all works. Where did you get your rope, and is it still working alright for you? Any idea where I could pick up the 3" webbing? That is where my rope failed. It ripped out of the webbing - it also has a gash in the middle of it, so will have to replace the rope.

gglmn said:
I took pictures of the process, but it will take a day or two to put it together. I have the toprail. The rope has 3" webbing sewn to the end where it attaches to the front of the cover by 3 or 4 nuts bolted to a plate. Remove the plate and detach the rope. Then remove the pully at the far end. Then loosen but don't remove the track. Remove the old rope. Sew 3: webbing to 5/16th rope. I needed a 95' and 115' length. Webbing runs in a channel on the pool side. The new rope is easy to put into the outer channel just by lifing the track and laying underneath. Run the ends through the pullyes and reattach to the drum with the screws and your done. If you have new rope with the webbing attached, it's an hour at most. If you post your email I can send pictures.

I need to replace my coverstar ropes and would love to use your pictures as a guide. Can you please send them to [email protected].

Thank You
I'm sure this will save me a big chunk of money.

Can you please forward the pictures to me?

dillydill AT Juno.com

The closest Coverstar repair people are 2 hours away and want to charge me $400 just for driving time. My rope has torn at the nylon part and think I might be able to attach new nylon and get the cover working again.

Thanks for your help.

I just had my Coverstar rope break. I guess I am dense but I don't understand how the whole thing works. I also have the top mounted for a rectangular pool. I am looking to replace it myself and have read this thread completely. I would greatly appreciate it if you could send me your photos so I could use them as a guide. [email protected]

Thanks,
J...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think my coverstar ropes also broke- cover not workin and I see a free end. Pictures would be greatly appreciated so I could learn how to splice/reattach.
Thank you so much
[email protected]

Coverstar, coverfallenstar. Mine is 6 years old. one of the ropes breaks every two years. $900 to replace. Yacht rope is available and plenty strong. I'd like pictures also [email protected]. A couple of questions. Does the cover need to be "rolled up" ( open) to get to webbing (my rope broke just at webbing, webbing is intact). How do you get the rope around the far pulley. With the webbing attached to the rope I assume you have to feed the rope through the "outer" track, up around the far pulley, and back down the "inner" track to the winch. I'd like to hear how this is done. THanks much.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.