Help my Hardness is over 500ppm.

Jul 14, 2009
Drop off my pool water this morning return this afternoon to find out my hardness is over 500ppm.
Other # where good except Alkalinity at 47..drop some soda in. The PH 7.6
How could of this happen????
Any help is always appreciated !!!!
Thanks

It can happen for multiple reasons, but the most common are: using cal-hypo too often (you have an SWG, right? So probably not this), dumping in too much calcium chloride when trying to balance water (hopefully not), and high CH fill water (most likely). As you add water to replace that which evaporates, more CH is added. Even though your fill water is almost certainly lower in CH than your pool water, it still makes the number go up since it accumulates in the water rather than evaporating.

Been adding a lot of water... pool temp 90 i get sun at least 8hrs a day....
Never had hardness this high ..Maybe there [City Hall] adding something to the water????
Bad test... maybe! I'll try again Friday..
Thanks again !!!!

Leyland, Do us a favor and add your pool stuff to your sig. Also add your general location. That helps us keep track of what you have without having to search for it.

You can access it by clicking on the "User Control Panel" button under the TFP logo.

I also suspect the testing. Since you left the sample they could have given you someone elses results. Mixups happen all the time.

I'll see your 500 ppm and raise ya.

I have 1175 as of yesterday. My tap water is something like 280. I can only dream of having to add CH. Or TA. It's not the end of the world. Monitoring the levels and using pool calculator, I have no problem keeping CSI in the low negative numbers. Which is why my CH keeps climbing. I am dissolving some scale back into solution! That was my goal, and it's working. I know it's just a matter of time before I get R/O done, so I wanna get my money's worth!

Get a good test kit. It is the single best purchase you will ever make for your pool. May as well order extra R-0012 now, as you'll be using a lot of it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.