Taylor K-2106 In Orlando Or Buffalo?

May 25, 2010
Hello,

I'm from Canada and our local pool shop wants $200+s/h for the Taylor K-2106 (I have a bromine pool).

I'll be travelling to the US in two weeks and I was hoping to pick one up for much cheaper while I'm down there.

We'll be driving across the border to fly out of Buffalo, and then staying on Disney World property. Does anyone knows any pool shops near either Disney World or the Buffalo airport that carry the Taylor K-2106?

In the meantime, I've got a cheap test kit from the local pool store. Can I use this for a bromine pool too? Do I need to make any adjustments to the numbers?

Thanks!!!

The common OTO chlorine test (drops turn a sample various shades of yellow) also works with bromine. Most of the color charts are marked with a bromine scale, which is a little more than double the chlorine scale. PH, TA, and CH are all the same for either kind of pool.

JasonLion said:
The common OTO chlorine test (drops turn a sample various shades of yellow) also works with bromine. Most of the color charts are marked with a bromine scale, which is a little more than double the chlorine scale. PH, TA, and CH are all the same for either kind of pool.

Thanks! When I shock with chlorine, that would boost the available bromine, correct? Is there a way to tell how much un-available bromine is it the water too?

If I shock with chlorine and there's not enough bromine in the water, what happens to the rest of the chlorine?

We just got our pool a few weeks before closing and we've opened for the first time this past wknd. I've read through a bunch of the stickies, but I have a hard time telling what is applicable for bromine pools.

Thanks for your help

WaterlooMom said:
JasonLion said:

Thanks! When I shock with chlorine, that would boost the available bromine, correct? Is there a way to tell how much un-available bromine is it the water too? Unfortunately not.

If I shock with chlorine and there's not enough bromine in the water, what happens to the rest of the chlorine? It would work as chlorine usually does; stick around and oxidize something.

We just got our pool a few weeks before closing and we've opened for the first time this past wknd. I've read through a bunch of the stickies, but I have a hard time telling what is applicable for bromine pools.

Thanks for your help

Waterloo mom.

The only place I could find the test kit or the regeants was Acapulco pools. I've asked everywhere....and I had asked the exact same question as you, last year.

I went today to Acapulco pools on Victoria street to buy more regeants and they wouldn't sell to a "residential customer".

I ordered my kit from Apollo pools (paul giroux is the owner and a member). Can't remember how much my test kit was but I don't think it was $200.

I would suggest ordering an extra dpd powder and extra fas-dpd titrate regeant....(oops, just noticed you have bromine...so I have no idea what you need, but check out the website).

http://piscines-apollo.com/

If ever you do find a place that sells taylor regeants, please pm me a message, and I will do the same.

aqualicious said:
Waterloo mom.

The only place I could find the test kit or the regeants was Acapulco pools. I've asked everywhere....and I had asked the exact same question as you, last year.

I went today to Acapulco pools on Victoria street to buy more regeants and they wouldn't sell to a "residential customer".

I ordered my kit from Apollo pools (paul giroux is the owner and a member). Can't remember how much my test kit was but I don't think it was $200.

I would suggest ordering an extra dpd powder and extra fas-dpd titrate regeant....(oops, just noticed you have bromine...so I have no idea what you need, but check out the website).

http://piscines-apollo.com/

If ever you do find a place that sells taylor regeants, please pm me a message, and I will do the same.

Acapulco pools is who I contacted and they said $206 plus shipping. No way I am paying that, we are looking into finding it somewhere else. I will check out Apollo, thanks. I will let you know if we find anyone, right now I keep running up against walls.

WaterlooMom said:
frustratedpoolmom said:
I'd have the kit ordered and shipped to the Disney property and make arrangements for them to hold it for your arrival.

That's one of the options we are considering. Are there any online companies that you would recommend?
http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html It's a small operation, so I'm sure he'll work with you and ship on a particular day so it gets to the hotel when you're there.

Or you can try Leslie's. They're a chain. Order and have shipped to store.

PS. Order several, then sell them at a profit when you get home. It will help defray the cost of the trip! :mrgreen:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Richard320 said:
WaterlooMom said:
frustratedpoolmom said:
I'd have the kit ordered and shipped to the Disney property and make arrangements for them to hold it for your arrival.

That's one of the options we are considering. Are there any online companies that you would recommend?
http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html It's a small operation, so I'm sure he'll work with you and ship on a particular day so it gets to the hotel when you're there.

Or you can try Leslie's. They're a chain. Order and have shipped to store.

PS. Order several, then sell them at a profit when you get home. It will help defray the cost of the trip! :mrgreen:

I can't find the K-2106 (Bromine) in either of those links.

I found this company with free shipping, are they reputable?

http://www.rhtubs.com/store/test-kits.htm

Are there any reagents for the K-2106 (Bromine) kit that I should pick up extras of? How long can I store reagents for? This will be my first full season owning a pool so I'm unsure how much I will go through.

http://www.rhtubs.com/store/taylor-refill.htm

I would think any kit should last you more than 1-2 seasons, depending on problems or how often you test. I recommend you store it inside where the temps/light can be controlled.

Not too familiar with Bromine, but others who use it in their pool can chime in. I can think of a couple...I'll PM them for you.

I have a bromine pool, and I use the TF-100 kit, I got it when I was in the U.S. The CYA test is useless in a bromine pool, but I use it on friends chlorine pools. All the other tests work fine. I just double FC #'s to get the bromine result. The CC test works to see if there are any "issues". I use it as a gauge when to shock, for the daily test the OTO/PH test is fine (there is a Br scale, if not, double the CL numbers)

So, as FPM said, I'd get the TF-100 kit shipped to disney. And test their pool while you're there. :p

waterloo mom, there seems to be a Leslie's pool store in Amherst buffalo. I don't know if they carry the specific test kit you need but they carry alot of taylor products including my kit. I wonder though if you'd need to double check their stock before going though?

We go to Buffalo for shopping every few months, so atleast now I know where I can pick up some replacement reageants when I need them.

(although I have to say Paul from Apollo pools is very quick when that is a necessity. I ordered my reageants and got them within 48 hours. thanks Paul!)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.