Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Taylor K-2106 In Orlando Or Buffalo?

1. Back To Top    #1

Taylor K-2106 In Orlando Or Buffalo?

Hello,

I'm from Canada and our local pool shop wants $200+s/h for the Taylor K-2106 (I have a bromine pool).

I'll be travelling to the US in two weeks and I was hoping to pick one up for much cheaper while I'm down there.

We'll be driving across the border to fly out of Buffalo, and then staying on Disney World property. Does anyone knows any pool shops near either Disney World or the Buffalo airport that carry the Taylor K-2106?

In the meantime, I've got a cheap test kit from the local pool store. Can I use this for a bromine pool too? Do I need to make any adjustments to the numbers?

Thanks!!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Taylor K-2106 In Orlando Or Buffalo?

You could order an TF-100 and have it shipped to your hotel...
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

The common OTO chlorine test (drops turn a sample various shades of yellow) also works with bromine. Most of the color charts are marked with a bromine scale, which is a little more than double the chlorine scale. PH, TA, and CH are all the same for either kind of pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    The common OTO chlorine test (drops turn a sample various shades of yellow) also works with bromine. Most of the color charts are marked with a bromine scale, which is a little more than double the chlorine scale. PH, TA, and CH are all the same for either kind of pool.
    Thanks! When I shock with chlorine, that would boost the available bromine, correct? Is there a way to tell how much un-available bromine is it the water too?

If I shock with chlorine and there's not enough bromine in the water, what happens to the rest of the chlorine?

We just got our pool a few weeks before closing and we've opened for the first time this past wknd. I've read through a bunch of the stickies, but I have a hard time telling what is applicable for bromine pools.

Thanks for your help

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by WaterlooMom
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Thanks! When I shock with chlorine, that would boost the available bromine, correct? Is there a way to tell how much un-available bromine is it the water too? Unfortunately not.

If I shock with chlorine and there's not enough bromine in the water, what happens to the rest of the chlorine? It would work as chlorine usually does; stick around and oxidize something.

We just got our pool a few weeks before closing and we've opened for the first time this past wknd. I've read through a bunch of the stickies, but I have a hard time telling what is applicable for bromine pools.

Thanks for your help
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

6. Back To Top    #6

Waterloo mom.

The only place I could find the test kit or the regeants was Acapulco pools. I've asked everywhere....and I had asked the exact same question as you, last year.

I went today to Acapulco pools on Victoria street to buy more regeants and they wouldn't sell to a "residential customer".

I ordered my kit from Apollo pools (paul giroux is the owner and a member). Can't remember how much my test kit was but I don't think it was $200.

I would suggest ordering an extra dpd powder and extra fas-dpd titrate regeant....(oops, just noticed you have bromine...so I have no idea what you need, but check out the website).

http://piscines-apollo.com/

If ever you do find a place that sells taylor regeants, please pm me a message, and I will do the same.
    21' 54" Round AG, 10K gallons,1HP 2 speed pump, Sand filter 200lb
    Have had a sparkling BBB pool all summer....

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by aqualicious
    Waterloo mom.

The only place I could find the test kit or the regeants was Acapulco pools. I've asked everywhere....and I had asked the exact same question as you, last year.

I went today to Acapulco pools on Victoria street to buy more regeants and they wouldn't sell to a "residential customer".

I ordered my kit from Apollo pools (paul giroux is the owner and a member). Can't remember how much my test kit was but I don't think it was $200.

I would suggest ordering an extra dpd powder and extra fas-dpd titrate regeant....(oops, just noticed you have bromine...so I have no idea what you need, but check out the website).

http://piscines-apollo.com/

If ever you do find a place that sells taylor regeants, please pm me a message, and I will do the same.
    Acapulco pools is who I contacted and they said $206 plus shipping. No way I am paying that, we are looking into finding it somewhere else. I will check out Apollo, thanks. I will let you know if we find anyone, right now I keep running up against walls.

8. Back To Top    #8

I'd have the kit ordered and shipped to the Disney property and make arrangements for them to hold it for your arrival.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    I'd have the kit ordered and shipped to the Disney property and make arrangements for them to hold it for your arrival.
    That's one of the options we are considering. Are there any online companies that you would recommend?

10. Back To Top    #10

That's one of the options we are considering. Are there any online companies that you would recommend?
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html It's a small operation, so I'm sure he'll work with you and ship on a particular day so it gets to the hotel when you're there.

Or you can try Leslie's. They're a chain. Order and have shipped to store.

PS. Order several, then sell them at a profit when you get home. It will help defray the cost of the trip!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html It's a small operation, so I'm sure he'll work with you and ship on a particular day so it gets to the hotel when you're there.

Or you can try Leslie's. They're a chain. Order and have shipped to store.

PS. Order several, then sell them at a profit when you get home. It will help defray the cost of the trip!
    I can't find the K-2106 (Bromine) in either of those links.

I found this company with free shipping, are they reputable?

http://www.rhtubs.com/store/test-kits.htm

Are there any reagents for the K-2106 (Bromine) kit that I should pick up extras of? How long can I store reagents for? This will be my first full season owning a pool so I'm unsure how much I will go through.

http://www.rhtubs.com/store/taylor-refill.htm

Thanks

12. Back To Top    #12

I would think any kit should last you more than 1-2 seasons, depending on problems or how often you test. I recommend you store it inside where the temps/light can be controlled.

Not too familiar with Bromine, but others who use it in their pool can chime in. I can think of a couple...I'll PM them for you.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

13. Back To Top    #13

I have a bromine pool, and I use the TF-100 kit, I got it when I was in the U.S. The CYA test is useless in a bromine pool, but I use it on friends chlorine pools. All the other tests work fine. I just double FC #'s to get the bromine result. The CC test works to see if there are any "issues". I use it as a gauge when to shock, for the daily test the OTO/PH test is fine (there is a Br scale, if not, double the CL numbers)

So, as FPM said, I'd get the TF-100 kit shipped to disney. And test their pool while you're there.
    40 x 16 IG Vinyl. Goldline SWG
    160 Sq Ft Roof mounted solar array
    2014 Hydropool Serenity 5000 Hot Tub
    The Pool School- A great place to start
    Jason's Pool calculator

14. Back To Top    #14

waterloo mom, there seems to be a Leslie's pool store in Amherst buffalo. I don't know if they carry the specific test kit you need but they carry alot of taylor products including my kit. I wonder though if you'd need to double check their stock before going though?

We go to Buffalo for shopping every few months, so atleast now I know where I can pick up some replacement reageants when I need them.

(although I have to say Paul from Apollo pools is very quick when that is a necessity. I ordered my reageants and got them within 48 hours. thanks Paul!)
    21' 54" Round AG, 10K gallons,1HP 2 speed pump, Sand filter 200lb
    Have had a sparkling BBB pool all summer....