dorpo75

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 8, 2009
NE Ohio
I have just finished testing my water and here are my totals:

FC Last night was 15.5 so @ 8pm added 1 gal 10% bleach
FC This morning @ 7am was 7.5
FC 4.0-@ 4pm
Pool Calc. is telling me to add 185oz bleach-haven't done so yet. Waiting for sun to go down.
TC 1.0
CC 5.0
PH 7.2
TA 120
CYA 20- On 5-15 I added about a 1lb and a half of CYA directly to the skimmer :oops:
H2O Temp currently 88

With the PH @ 7.2, should I add the 56oz of Borax the Pool Calc is suggesting, or do I leave it for time being?

Should I add the 36oz of stabilizer as stated by the Pool Calc or let it ride a bit more?

Thanks for your input.

Dora said:
I have just finished testing my water and here are my totals:

FC Last night was 15.5 so @ 8pm added 1 gal 10% bleach
FC This morning @ 7am was 7.5
FC 4.0-@ 4pm
Pool Calc. is telling me to add 185oz bleach-haven't done so yet. Waiting for sun to go down.
TC 1.0
CC 5.0
PH 7.2
TA 120
CYA 20- currently. On 5-15 I added about a 1lb and a half of CYA directly to the skimmer :oops:
H2O Temp currently 88

With the PH @ 7.2, should I add the 56oz of Borax the Pool Calc is suggesting, or do I leave it for time being?

Should I add the 36oz of stabilizer as stated by the Pool Calc or let it ride a bit more?

Thanks for your input.

If you add the borax that will also raise your TA based off info from the pool calculator. Are you trying to lower your TA? If so aerate the water to naturally raise your pH so TA is not affected.

If you added the stablizer on 5/15 that is over a week and should show up on the test. The 36 oz of stablizer (non liquid I assume.) is going to raise it around 17, so should get you around 35-40 or so.

Double Duh on me. The edit button at the top. Whooda' guessed? :oops:

I really don't want to raise my alkalinity, don't think I need to at this time. Will use the sock method for CYA distribution. :cool:

Here is another query; How do I turn the return to get the water to break the surface? It is in the side wall and has a light inside of it. My husband is not here and won't be for a while, so I need to tackle this one myself.
:|

No rush on pointing the return up to raise PH. PH at 7.2 is actually better if you are in the process of shocking....you can make final adjustments to PH when your CC's are gone and your done shocking.

Dora, What's the chance you could keep it at shock level continuously day and night for a few days?

Something looks wrong with your numbers. You have a FC of 4 & a CC of 5 but a TC (FC+CC) of 1 :scratch:
Maybe you have the TC & CC numbers switched?

You are absolutely correct. I did have them switched. That darned dyslexia kicking in again. Thanks for the heads up.

I put a quart of chlorine in this morning at 6:45am as the calc. said that is what I need to maintain 15. I lost about 7 or 8 parts over the evening. When I get home around 3:30 I'll check and add accordingly. The water looks great! Just a bit of stuff on the bottom that will be vacuumed up today. Everyone else is working during the day and can't check any earlier than I on the chlorine levels. It'll get fixed up! We are on the right path I think.

We are going to stain our deck today. Heck of a day to do it. Hot and sunny (finally) but it has to be done before the summer season is in full swing. Applying with a roller and a pad so no overspray gets in the water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Please help with my evening #'s

Topics merged by moderator for consistency

Good evening. Just took the evening's readings and they are as follows:
FC 8
CC .5
TC 8.5
TA 140
PH between 6.8 and 7.2- color in tube light orange
Water temp 88
Pool water- clear

Pool calc says I can add 3 qts bleach-to raise my FC-no prob. there. Should I wait until the morning test and see if I have lost any before adding the bleach?
It says that I can add 9lb of Borax
It says I could add Baking Soda to raise my PH

Shall I do it all now or wait until morning. I have just shut off the pump. If I do put it in, how long should I run the pump?

Thanks for the help. I am slow :hammer: at getting the hang of the chemistry and timing. I'm working on it :?

Ok. Thanks for the advice. I will go and dissolve and add right now. Trying the overnight thing, but I think I am still losing too much. Today between 3:30 and 8:30 I lost 4ppm. The sun was brutal.

Both 7 and 9 lbs of Borax seems a little too aggresive to me. I suggest a 4lb box (mostly because I think the box is right at 4 lbs) and retest. I think that will get you into the mid 7's. If not, you can add more easily.

frustratedpoolmom said:
If your CYA is still below 30 that could be the blame for such a loss during the day.

I just dissolved a tube sock with cya in it. I had it floating in front of the return and it was disintegrated in about a day and a half. I put in 2 lbs. Shall I wait a few days and then check the CYA again, or just keep an eye on the chlorine levels and judge from there?

As always, the information and respect between adm, and newbies is awesome not to mention the many many folks who post excellent info without the title. My thanks to you all.

Ok, I missed the other post - thought the 5/15 addition was the last one. If your CYA is at 35-40, 4ppm is still possible but it's also more likely you aren't done shocking yet. So go ahead and raise it up tonight, wait at least an hour or so and test the FC level again for your overnight test comparison.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.